Battle of the Brands

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I thought it would interesting to see where everyone's loyalties are with outboard brands. This question has nothing to do with models, sizes or types of outboards - just the value of the brand.<br /><br />Which brand of outboard would you most like to have hooked on the back of your boat ?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Battle of the Brands

I wasn't aware of more than one brand..... :D

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

hmmmm..<br /><br />have a Go-Devil (Techumseh - 23hp Vangaurd )<br />3 Johnsons<br />2 Mercs<br />1 Mariner..<br /><br /><br />If I was to buy new model years, Bombardier.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I was flip-flopping between Jonhyrude and Yamaha, but Johnnyrude got my vote. When Ficht came out I figured that was the system everybody else wished they came up with. No compressors to break down, no ultra high pressure fuel swirling around looking to find a way out. Very simple, very efficient. I could see that technology moving into Rotary engines powering generators for electric cars. It would've been REAL interesting to see what Penske might've done with it. But they're in excellent hands with the Bombardier family now. I'm impressed with the quietness, power, quick response, and you can't beat their FasTrak midsection.

one more cast

Captain

My johnson 35 is over 20 years old without a rebuild, my 15 is older then that and my 5 hp sea king (OMC) is almost 40 years old with only coil replacment. How can you not be loyal.

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

I voted for my Johnson even though I have a Merc too. I have worked on both now, and I think The Johnson is much easier to get to everthing. IMO

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

x3 Johnstons<br />x1 Mercury<br />x4 Seagulls<br />x1 Honda<br />x1 Archimidies<br />x1 Yamaha<br /><br />Still except that I love the Seagulls the Johnstons get my vote for ease of use and reliability.<br />Ross

KennyKenCan

Commander

Ran Johnsons and Evinrudes for 20 years!<br /><br />Kept blowing them up!<br /><br />Been running a Mercury for the past 8 years, and not even so much as one bolt needing to be turned since I mounted it on the back of my boat!<br /><br />But it does need new coils now!

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My family always seems to go for Evinrude outboards, except for the one time I bought a Tohatsu - but that got stolen ...maybe it wasn't meant to be ;) <br /><br />Another exception was my grandfather's Seagull. I can still remember it's distinctive sound :rolleyes: - a nice memory :)

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hey Stumpy,<br /><br />Ever tried to get to the thermostats on a V4? Or that stupid bolt arrangement on the top of the shift shaft? Sorry, Johnrudes are too hard to work on. That's why I only work on Mercs.<br /><br />Chris............

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

never had to turn a wrench on the Johnsons .. just maintinance things plugs/wires at most .. <br /><br />ooops .. might add in a dozen or so props.. damn crappy engines!!<br /><br />salesman told me they bi-passed water hazards..<br /><br /><br /> :p

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

Happy with my 2 johnsons. 1 is 48 years young and still strong. The other is 33 years and still strong.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I think my avatar says it all, but I do like Johnyrudes too. They have been doing it longer than anyone else, so the merc/johnyrude combo pack will always get my preference...<br /><br />What does it mean if my main is a Merc and my kicker is a Johnson? :)

phatmanmike

Captain

i voted for "force" cause if youre following the other thread, i am the high bidder.<br /><br />::::evil laugh inserted here:::::::::<br /><br />"one of mercurys finest"<br /><br />but really, i currently have:<br />2 x merc<br />3 x nissan<br />2 x clinton sea king<br />3 x omc<br />1 x suzususususuki<br /><br />the mercs are the EASIEST to work on, i have to admit. i love the way they connect the shift linkage.. oh yeah, they dont have one!!!!! love it. you just unbolt the lower unit and it drops !!!<br /><br />bye

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've only had a Chrysler and a Mercury. No brainer. Mercury all the way in my book.

spratt

Lieutenant

I see I voted for the winner. As achris said, is there another brand out there????

spratt

Lieutenant

OH, I forgot...I guess eBay has a nother "Brand"...Force??? What is that?

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

NEWS FLASH!<br /><br />Evinrude-Johnson is leading the poll so far by a country mile...even the exit poll is in agreement. The people have spoken. But can Mercury-Mariner pull something out of the hat at the 11th hour ? Stay tuned ;)