Battle of Midway - 60th Anniversary

D

DJ

Re: Battle of Midway - 60th Anniversary

62_Kiwi,<br /><br />Thanks for the link. Great website telling the story.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi DJohns,<br /><br />Yes they seem to have a very detailed history of the Pacific War, which makes very interesting reading. The main page is at the following link;<br /><br /> http://www.microworks.net/pacific/ <br /><br />There's enough there to keep you going for a long time!<br /><br />P.S. I notice that microworks.net is based in Arizona.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Kiwi.<br /><br />I know of no battle in history that better illustrates the value of advance intelligence and luck in timing.<br /><br />We knew what Nagumo was going to do, when, and where. He had no idea where we were.<br /><br />Our dive bombers arrived at the perfect instant, when all of Nagumo's CAP was at low altitude and his flight decks were full of explosives and fuel.<br /><br />Without both of those factors in our favor, Yamamoto's fleet would probably have occupied Midway. <br /><br />In the end, I don't think the war would have ended differently, but it would have been a lot harder and a lot slower.<br /><br />My Uncle Tom was LSO on Yorktown and my Uncle Jack was with the Army on Midway. I got lots of first-hand stories about the battle.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

JB,<br /><br />Wow, your uncles were certainly in the centre of all the action! They would have been VERY interesting stories. <br /><br />I believe that before Midway, the Japs seemed unstoppable in the Pacific and the American forces involved in that battle were heavily outnumbered. This must have made victory very sweet.<br /><br />Yes I think you're right that it would have been harder and slower to achieve the same final outcome without Midway (and this would equate to many more allied lives lost too).<br /><br />I guess your uncle was part of the influence that made you join the US Navy ?

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

JB,<br /><br />Maybe the last line of my previous post should have read "you joined the Navy despite what happened to your uncle...". <br /><br />I just put 2 and 2 together. The Yorktown was sunk during the Battle of Midway. He obviously survived that incident, so his stories would be even more interesting than what I expected earlier...<br /><br />I see that Yorktown was discovered recently (1998)at a depth of 16,500 feet (5075 metres). They say that she was in surprisingly good shape, very little rust - due to countless coats of paint!

Tinman

Cadet

Don't forget about this also being the anniversary of Dutch Harbor/Unalaska being invaded, That bombing/invasion was the only portion of WWII to be fought on U.S. soil. The signs of war are still all over the Aleutian Islands.<br /><br />Just thought I'd mention that little factoid before Midway went and stole the show again.<br /><br />Tinman

JB

Hi, Kiwi. <br /><br />I knew I would spend time in USN from the time I was about age 4.<br /><br />We are a Navy family. Since 1807 there has been at least one of our family in the Navy or Navy Reserve. Current standard bearer is one of my three daughters, CDR Alice Cooper, USNR.<br /><br />Yes, Uncles Tom and Jack survived the war. Tom holds the family record for Purple Hearts (4), finally was disabled when he was aboard CV Ticonderoga in the South China Sea in early 1945 and was blown overboard by a Kami. Interesting coincidence: he was picked up by DD630, USS Braine, named for his Grandfather.<br /><br />Uncle Jack was OSS. Didn't talk much about where he went or what he did after Midway. I do know that he spent a lot of the war in Brazil keeping track of Nazi activities there.

D

DJ

All,<br /><br />Wow JB, what a history.<br /><br />Whether it was intel. or timing, or a combination of both, they were definetly important. I like to think all of that coming together was-Devine.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would certainly have to agree with DJohns.<br /><br />JB, your family has a very impressive track record and looks to have been involved in it's fair share of major world-shaping events. It's good to see that your daughter is continuing the tradition with the Navy.<br /><br />I can only try to imagine what it would be like to be on the receiving end of a Kamikaze attack - no I can't even imagine. I hope your uncle Tom was able to regain some quality of life after his injuries. <br /><br />I'm thankful that my generation was never called upon to face up to that kind of hellfire - but am eternally grateful to those who did. Too many people take peace for granted.<br /><br />BTW I found the USS Braine's website and the following eye witness accounts of a Kamikaze attack;<br /><br /> Eye Witness Statements from USS Braine<br /><br /> USS Braine

JB

Thanks for the links, Kiwi. I had the BRAINE's number wrong.<br /><br />I need to pass these links along to my children and grandchildren. I don't think anyone in my branch of the family knows about them.<br /><br />BTW, Uncle Tom never regained the use of his left arm, but was a champion tennis player and coach anyway. He passed on in 1999. <br /><br />Uncle Jack (John Bancroft Braine, after whom my mother named me)stayed with OSS after it became CIA. He retired in 1965 and spent a new career on Wall Street. He passed on in 1982.<br /><br />Thanks again for the links. :)

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You're welcome JB.<br /><br />I've now spent some time looking through and reading the USS Braine's website, which is very well done. It's recommended reading as far as I'm concerned - I was riveted.<br /><br />The Braine had a very distinguished, honourable and action-packed service record. She inflicted much damage on her enemies and survived a brutal double Kamikaze attack at Okinawa. She even starred in a Hollywood movie with John Wayne!!<br /><br />I think she's done justice to your Great-Grandfather's name, JB.<br /><br />That must be your Auntie, shown christening her? Was she married to your uncle Tom or Jack ?

JB

Hi, Kiwi.<br /><br />Braine was christened by Cousin Larry Braine's wife, though my mother was her official sponsor at both christenings. <br /><br />Mom was 8.5 months pregnant when Braine was first launched in 1943, and a widow with 5 children in 1951. In neither case was she able to travel to the ceremony. One of my brothers has the brass plaque from the champaigne bottle that christened her in 1951, and I have the letter to Mom from President Roosevelt naming her Sponsor in 1943 :) .