Battery

I have a 14 ft aluminum boat with a 1962 18 hp johnson outboard, i was wondering what size marine battery would be best for this, all i have is proper navigation lights for night and a hummingbird fish finder, and i might get a clamp on trolling motor. Any advice would help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Battery

A standard Group 24 Marine starting battery (small as they come) will work fine for you.

wrench 3

Commander

I'm thinking that your '62 18hp is probably a manual start. If so, you would be better off with a group 24 deep cycle battery.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

They make a group 24, 27,29 and a 31 duel purpose battery, the difference is the amount of reserve capacity. That`s how long it will last before it needs to be fully recharged. Normal running a group 24 works just fine with with lights for night, If you add a trolling motor, then you will need more reserve, how much depends on the motor and how much you run it.

64osby

Admiral

Is your motor electric start or manual?

Does it have a stator / charging system?

My old motor doesn't. If it isn't a charging system it is just a matter of how much power you are drawing. How many pieces of equipment are you using.

I have a non charging system and have hooked up LED running and anchor lights, 2 interior LED lights for occasional use, horn, fish finder, a 12v aux plug and a small trolling motor for light use. I tend to anchor and haven't had an issue with draining the group 27 battery.