Battery type?

kyudizky

Seaman
Any special requirments for a cranking battery i need to buy to go on a 91' stratos fish/ski with '84 90 horse johnny. Cranking battery only, along with usual accessories. Troller runs of 2 seperate deep cycles.

Appreciate the help!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Battery type?

You want a marine starting battery. They are designed to handle the harsher conditions on a boat. Lots of opionions on what brand to get though I've had fantastic luck with my 5 year old Die Hard from Sears.

kyudizky

Seaman

I will definelty get a marine battery, and not so much concerned with brand, but more with the required volts/amps, etc...? Or are all/most marine cranking batteries the same?

thanks

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yep, definately a marine starting battery.:D

I prefer the Interstate battery myself. I know people who use the low cost batteries and generaly have no problems. I just do not think they last as long. I am also a believer in "you get what you pay for".:rolleyes:

Edit: Sorry, I did not see your next question.

No, in my opinion, they are not all the same. A boat battery takes a lot more abuse than an automotive battery. So the marine application is designed and constructed to take more jarring and abuse. As far as cranking amps, you want something within the parameters of your engines starter requirements. For your engine, I do not know what that would require. Call a marina and ask what they recommend. Than shop around for the battery you desire and the best price on such.:D

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A series 24 battery will be fine for that application, expecially if you have other batteries for the trolling motors. I would put a jumper cable set in the boat, on the off chance that one battery or the other goes dead.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I disagree that you need a starter battery. A deep discharge marine battery will work just as well with an outboard motor.

kyudizky

Seaman

bruce b, curious as to your reasoning/thoughts on your comment. certainly not questioning it, just curious why. would you recommend this set up?

I am actually moving a deep cycle being used as a cranking bat. (with zero issue)over to series with another battery for the 24V for my TM. doing this only b/c regualar marine batteries are cheaper that a deep cycle marine.

So i need a series 24 marine battery, starting or deep cycle, right?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I buy deep discharge marine batteries from Costco for my boat. I use one to start a 7.4L V8. I just like having the deep discharge batteries because they can tolerate a discharge better. If you happen to let your start battery completely discharge 3 or 4 times, you will be buying a new battery.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Bruce, The design of the deep discharge batteries is not optimized to the rigors of starting a motor. The plates on the deep cycle batteries are soft, and can be damaged if you need for them to produce a high amperage burst, as in starting the motor. I would think you should changeover to a starting battery, when your battery goes bad.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The difference in the cold cranking amps between a battery designated for starting vs one that is designated as deep discharge is something on the order of 650 vs 550 at 0 degrees F. In either case, plenty to start an OB that the OP has. The rule of thumb is 1 CCA per Cubic inch. In the case of a size 24 deep discharge battery from Lifeline, the CCA at 32 degrees is 680 and at 68 degrees is 800!

As far as the battery construction goes, the deep discharge battery will have thicker plates than the starting battery. The starting battery will have more surface area because it will have more of them.

My batteries are always still working at 5 or 6 years when I replace them. Of course my boat is always well maintained and tuned up and pretty much starts instantly so there is no long cranking. If I had a fuel injected inboard engine, I would change my story and go with a starter battery because of the voltage drop causing problems with fuel injected engines.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Not to confuse you even more but there exists combination "Starting/Deep Cycle" as well. Actually for most outboards you can use any of them. Since the engine is seldom running on a fishing boat when the accessories are used, a deep cycle or starting/deep cycle makes perfect sense. Starting batteries (marine or otherwise) do not like to be deeply discharged. The secret to picking a battery with the right "capacity" is install the highest capacity you have room for. You cannot go too high, just too low.

kyudizky

Seaman

sure am glad ya'll are smarter than i am. i appreciate the input. i think i will go with the deep cycle so be safe, as the motor has been cranking beautifully with one to date, and with my stator and/or volt regulator not recharging as it is, i have been out running the boat two weekends with out any cranking power loss. it usually get pulled everytime out to recharge till i fix the stator.

Silvertip, this may be a stupid question, but by "capacity", do you mean physical space to place the battery in the rigging compartment? Other wise get the largest, in terms of volt/amps as availible?

thanks again

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

This is a good article:

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Using a deep cycle battery as a starting battery

Using a deep cycle battery as a starting battery

"There is generally no problem with this, providing that allowance is made for the lower cranking amps compared to a similar size starting battery. As a general rule, if you are going to use a true deep cycle battery (such as the Concorde SunXtender) also as a starting battery, it should be oversized about 20% compared to the existing or recommended starting battery group size to get the same cranking amps. That is about the same as replacing a group 24 with a group 31. With modern engines with fuel injection and electronic ignition, it generally takes much less battery power to crank and start them, so raw cranking amps is less important than it used to be. On the other hand, many cars, boats, and RV's are more heavily loaded with power sucking "appliances", such as megawatt stereo systems etc. that are more suited for deep cycle batteries. We have used the Concorde SunXtender AGM batteries in some of our vehicles with no problems.

It will not hurt a deep cycle battery to be used as a starting battery, but for the same size battery they cannot supply as much cranking amps as a regular starting battery."

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Silvertip, this may be a stupid question, but by "capacity", do you mean physical space to place the battery in the rigging compartment? Other wise get the largest, in terms of volt/amps as availible?
Basically, the larger the battery the more capacity as in amount of Amps it can provide over a given time. The larger the battery(physical size of the battery), the more of this capacity. In other words, why not go with a group 27 battery in place of a 24 if it will fit.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The plates on the deep cycle batteries are soft, and can be damaged if you need for them to produce a high amperage burst, as in starting the motor.
Actually the plates of a "True" deep cycle battery are solid lead. Most marine batteries are not really "True" deep cycle because they do have the sponge construction which is more the construction that a starting battery would have.