battery too strong for comp test? that possible?

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class
so my boat battery needs replaced id say.. doesnt hold charge long enough to do even one good cylinder.. so if i say run some jumpers from my car battery to boat battery and do the comp test like that.. is that ok? i am sure the readings are affected on the low end due to low battery strength but can they be affected on the high end as well? <br /><br />might be a stupid question but just want to make sure.. <br /><br />thanks.. :D

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: battery too strong for comp test? that possible?

Get a good strong battery IN the boat for a compression test.

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah i intend to.. but still have the question out of curiosity.. would that setup result in questionably high comp results for some reason?

fisherman73

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The technically correct way to perform a compression test is with a jumper battery connected and throttle blades held fully open. <br />so to answer your question no you can not have too much battery, only too little would effect the result.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

And ALL the spark plugs out.

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A jumper battery from your car will NOT be as strong as a good abttery IN the boat. This is due to the long jumper cables. Even the most expensive super heavy duty ones are not as good as a fresh battery IN the boat. An I agree with Fishermen73, no way to get too much battery for a compression test.

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

okay thanks everybody.. forum has been a great benefit to a new boat guy like me..<br /><br />so far have used the forum to diagnose and fix my bad shift cable.. fix my drive trim pump.. fix my overheat problem "i think".. run a comp test to test if I have any serious damage from overheat situation..<br /><br />so thanks everybody

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is the "Technically Correct" way to do a compression test on an engine, and there is nothing there about using jumper cables.<br /><br /> http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/97/97_25.pdf <br /><br />Water in a cylinder could give higher compression.

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don,<br /><br />Thats what I followed.. Just dont have the fully charged battery to do it with.. Actually needed to jump start the boat just to get it running not just for the test..