Battery to Start 69 Evinrude 25903B 25HP

Colorado4Wheeler

Seaman Apprentice
In the past I've used a motorcycle battery, I'm wondering if there's a closed cell battery that will effectively start this. Also, right now, I have a really crummy way of starting it in that I have two large gauge + and - leads from the engine, I clamp the negative onto the battery and then touch the positive to the + side to start it and I would like to do this much better. I think I probably need to get a starter relay so I can run 12v to the relay and use an ignition key to actually crank it instead of this terrible way of starting it up - am I on the right track there?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Yes. Right track. Be sure to get an outboard solenoid.

You can probably rig a simple harness -- push button start is the easiest.

Colorado4Wheeler

Seaman Apprentice
oldboat1 Thank you! Any suggestions on the battery? I got a small battery box for a trolling motor that's enclosed and I was thinking of mounting my key (or push button) system on that but am not sure what battery to get. I could go the motorcycle route again but then dealing with acid and all that jazz.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Just match it up with the battery the currently works for you, or upsize if you want, most will cost more, sometimes shockingly more, than what you use now.

Colorado4Wheeler

Seaman Apprentice
ondarvr thank you for responding. My question is I'm not sure which battery to get because how many cranking amps do I need to start a small 25hp outboard like this? I'm thinking a trolling motor battery won't work because it doesn't have cranking amps.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The motor cycle battery worked, so just about any battery will, a deep cycle trolling motor battery will work fine, but if all you're doing I starting it, then get a starting battery.