Battery switch relocation

1989 Lowe pontoon. Currently has two batteries with Perko switch in back area near motor. It’s a pain to lift the heavy hatch every time I want to switch from one battery to the other, and the hatch is too heavy for my wife when she takes the boat out.

556b160d-0ebd-4ba3-829f-88eb46ebba1e

I’m wondering if there’s any reason I can’t move the switch to the location circled in yellow below. It would make it so much easier.

3c20cf7e-7e69-475d-a36e-3b9764ae9100

Thank you!

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
I mean... I do not see why not. Obviously you don't want the switch in a spot it will get soaked with rain or water, but that spot seems pretty tucked away. The biggest issues you will have will be deciding how to run the battery cables there cleanly and ensuring it is mounted securely. You will probably need longer cables, but it doesn't seem to be that much further than the current battery location, so I don't think you need to worry about losing voltage from the new cable lengths.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The additional cable lengths will sap some of the voltage from your battery, but I agree with ThomW that it won't be enough to be a concern provided you use cable at least as large as you currently have. Don't go with smaller cables.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
Yes do it!
I had the same frustration and made the effort to relocate both of the battery switches out of the bilge and into the cabin of my cruiser. The boat has 4 batteries and it’s now easy to switch the demand when needed. As mentioned, increase the wire size if you need to add length. If you do the job properly you’ll be a happy camper.