battery storage

loghomer

Seaman
I am thinking about storing my 2 batteries in my basement inside of a tupperware container with a tight lid. My concern is my furnace is down there. since the batteries give off fumes I'm concered about the furnace igniter going off and then boom..How about some ideas!!!thanks

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: battery storage

Batteries give off hydrogen gas only when being charged, so don't worry about that. Also, I get a good chuckle out of people who say not to put your battery on a bare concrete floor for fear it will discharge. That was true back in the Dark Ages, not now.<br />But do charge your battery fully before storing it, and if it's stored longer than 6 months, a recharge will be in order. Lead acid batteries slowly self-discharge, and a discharged battery (past 50%) is a damaged battery. You battery should be protected from extreme low tempuratures as well.<br />Give it one last charge after you take it out of storage and it should be fine.<br /><br />Good luck!

I always charge my batteries about once a month if I don't use the boat, Keeps a fresh charge on the battery. I will also once in a while turn on a light and run the battery down and then charge it again. Don't know if this helps, but it is the old deal of not letting your battery develope a "memory" durring charging. I think if you just take the time to charge them, clean the post and check the water (if needed) they will last a long time.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Memory problems only happened w/ nicads, not lead acid batteries. I charge mine about once a month in the off season. Many high tech chargers will "float charge" batteries when not in use. Probably worth it for expensive banks of trolling batteries. Try this website http://uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq.htm <br />for battery info.

ZmOz

Captain

snohomishbaddawg - are you saying you use a light to run it ALL the way down? If so...DON'T do that! The worst thing you can do to a lead acid is completely discharge it. They have no memory effect at all.