Battery Selector Switch Question

Kamdyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello to all my fellow boaters:) I am charging 2 batteries on board with my outboard motor and the positive from the outboard connects to the com. Also the trolling motor positive connects to the com in the battery selector switch. My question is would the outboard motor with a 20amps charging system fry my motherboard on my trolling motor?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Battery Selector Switch Question

It doesn't matter if you had the troller attached to the COM terminal or directly to the trolling motor battery. The alternator on the motor does not FORCE current to accessories. The accessories DRAW from the charging system. Therefore if the motherboard on the troller only draws and amp or two that simply means there is 18 amps availalble to power other stuff. However -- to avoid being left with a dead STARTING battery, you are advised to connect the troller directly to the troller battery. That way if you accidentally left the switch on BAT 1 (starting battery) you would not suck it flat using the troller since power would come only from BAT 2. All of the other accessories however should be connected to the COM terminal. You should also be aware that the troller draws anywhere from 35 - 50 amps per hour of use (on full speed). Therefore you would need to run the outboard wide open for a minimum of 2.5 hours to charge just the troller. You should also have an onboard charger or a portable charger to keep that troller charged immediately after use. The engine simply won't do the job properly.

Kamdyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Battery Selector Switch Question

Thanks for the quick reply bro.