Battery(s) for 1979 Chrysler 115 outboard

AlexYet

Recruit
I got a boat passed down to me and it hasn’t run for some time. I have done everything as far as changing all the fluids cleaned carbs fresh gas and oil mix etc. I purchased a marine battery (12v 800 crank amps) and the motor turns over yet every time it reaches tdc it almost comes to a halt. Definitely not passing tdc fast enough to get it started. Should I be using 2 batteries? More crank amps?

topgun3690

Ensign
"I got a boat passed down to me and it hasn’t run for some time." Since this engine is 43 years old and been setting up I would start with the basics.....do a compression and spark test. Change the impeller before running the engine as it is probably in bad shape. That new battery should crank the engine over fine.....check all wiring/connections, clean and tighten. Your starter could be shot....is it the original? You could take it apart and clean it or rebuild it (new brushes, etc...). The new China starters are junk....the original ones are much better and most parts are still available. Getting a factory manual for your engine would be a good idea (Ebay).

AlexYet

Recruit
The impeller was one thing that I didn’t check on the motor and a great point to check. It is the original starter so that could be an issue. The compression reads at 120psi but kinda hard to check for spark when the motor is turning so slow and battery cables got so hot trying to turn it over

topgun3690

Ensign
120 PSI on all cylinders? BTW....replace the impeller with a brand new one, don't just check it. You will already have the LU off anyway. IF the housing is in bad shape might need to get a complete pump kit. Impeller should be changed out every few years anyway.

topgun3690

Ensign
Moderators....could you move this thread over to the Force/chrysler outboard section....for better views....