battery reboot

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have two deep cell batteries. They came with the boat. One takes a great charge and the other shows to have the full charge with a volt-meter but when I use them one drains about twice as fast as the other. The fluids are full. I saw some "battery restorer" the other day. Is this product bogus, is there any way to revive my battery, or do I need a new one? The batteries are about three years old. Thanks guys.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: battery reboot

I have heard of some shops and fleet maint. people using the "pulse" battery chargers/restorers with mixed results. If you only have a boat and a car or two, I can't see justifying the expense of that kind of charger to prolong the life of a 3 year old battery.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

If you decide to try the "battery restorer" let us know how it goes - meanwhile, here's a site with more than the average bear needs to know about batteries ... http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/ ...<br /><br />Besides the voltage, you also need to check the individual cells with a hydrometer. Too much variance between the charge in the cells is a warning sign of impending failure. I wouldn't advise getting the cheapest hydrometer.<br /><br />Interestingly, I spilled a bit of acid (cheap %!&$ing hydrometer) from my cranking battery - just a little bit, maybe 4-5 tablespoons - replaced it with water, and it was showing those symptoms you described (more rapid than normal self-discharge). But after a half-dozen discharge/recharge cycles, it's almost back to normal. Lately I've been charging it every few days at 2 amps for 5 or 8 hours, whereas I used to charge it for a few minutes at 15 amps once every couple weeks (I fish every other weekend). This is also a 3-year-old battery, and the hydrometer test shows all cells with about the same state-of-charge.<br /><br />good luck,<br />jtw

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess it won't hurt to spend the 10.00 and see huh? When I give it a try I promise to chime back in with the results. Where do I get a "good" hydrometer?

18rabbit

Captain

Solar people know battery stuff.<br /><br />Battery conditioner: http://www.sunwize.com/catalog/images/batteries_accessories.pdf Note: more like $110.00.<br /><br />Hydrometer: http://www.solar-electric.com/precbathyd.html <br /><br />Also see the link at that web site for info on how to temp compensating. The sp of battery acid is not very different from the sp of wine with the appropriate level of fermentation (alcohol). Quality hydrometers are also available from wine making supply sources. Whatever you do DO NOT get one of those hydrometers with floating balls.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Auto parts stores have 'em. I got mine at an Interstate Battery store. Don't have to spend a bundle, $10 or $12 ought to get it.

18rabbit

Captain

Jtexas, the difference is for about twice the cost you get a hydrometer that is calibrated and has a scale. I guess knowing how much alcohol is in your vino is important ... to some people ... but not me. I'll drink it all! :D <br /><br />The hydrometers I have seen at auto parts stores have red, yellow, green zones, some suggest a voltage window. Can't determine an accurate voltage from those. With a quality hydrometer you can.

LubeDude

Admiral

You will have to replace both batteries so they are a matched pair.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> You will have to replace both batteries so they are a matched pair.
Not unless they are used in series or in parallel. If they are separate as in a house/starting setup or used one at a time as in a 1/2/both/off switched system they don't need to be a matched set.

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thank all of you. I don't know much about series or parallel but in the back of the boat there are two sets of wires for the batteries. One pos., one neg. for each. I'll just wait for Santa as these are big batteries and they are spensive.

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Boats are supposed to have batteries? Maybe thats why mine won't crank!

coby-5

Seaman Apprentice

your batteries are probably 2 different CCA<br />result one battery discharges faster and accually<br />hurts the stronger battery<br />if 24 volt=always change both,never just one

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

nope they're the same, just getting old. When I bought the boat they weren't but maybe half charged. Who knows how long they sat that way. I have confirmation from Santa himself that I shall be receiving two bright and shiny new deep-cycle batteries. I am so excited I almost pee myself when I think of it. I think I am going with two Interstate SRM 27. They have a reserve of 160 minutes. Two of those should do.