Battery question

alldodge

Staff member
Never heard a Battery pay anything even when they did owe
polar_face.jpg

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Yeah , I thought it was closer to 5-6 years until I was swapping it out and noticed the made date. Not too bad of a run for sure

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yeah , I thought it was closer to 5-6 years until I was swapping it out and noticed the made date. Not too bad of a run for sure
I just replaced a perfectly good 4 1/2 year old battery on my F150 because we go long distances towing with it and I was just being conservative. Sucks being stuck on a trip especially for a battery that is hard to find like my truck battery is.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Never saw a battery do like that before. Sort of narrows it down to the battery having an internal fault.
It is called a surface charge, and the battery is dead and gone, will never hold a charge. They just show a normal reading but it is not thru the whole battery. Have had this happen to me a few times. The plates have shorted out probably from crud building up in the bottom.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I just replaced a perfectly good 4 1/2 year old battery on my F150 because we go long distances towing with it and I was just being conservative. Sucks being stuck on a trip especially for a battery that is hard to find like my truck battery is.
I have done that on a few ocassions, nothing worse that getting stranded with a bad battery. On my boat I have extra batteries to fall back on, but not my vehicles. When I get my oil changed, they normally do a battery load test ( yea they want to sell me a new battery) but it does give some warning when one might be going!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have done that on a few ocassions, nothing worse that getting stranded with a bad battery. On my boat I have extra batteries to fall back on, but not my vehicles. When I get my oil changed, they normally do a battery load test ( yea they want to sell me a new battery) but it does give some warning when one might be going!!
I have one of those cheap load testers I linked before.

I am also going to be buying a capacity tester becuase I do a bunch of work with lithium RV batteries.

dwco5051

Commander
Years ago when I was running 4 trucks and 2 cars I would buy a new battery for my bass boat every Spring and then put the battery from the boat into which ever vehicle had the oldest battery. Shows that by fishing was more important than my business.