Battery question

Noteworthy05

Recruit
Hi- i just recently purchased a 2005 crownline 21.6 ls. It has the 350 5.7 mercruiser. The battery controller which you use to turn from off, to 1, 2 or all is my question. It has a key to lock it on off, so that you can’t start the boat. However, when the battery switch is to off, i still have power. Lights, pumps, everything still will turn on. Is this normal? In my grady when i turned it to off, there was no power whatsoever. I know the bilge pump would need power, but this boat is on a trailer at the moment. Do i need to worry about the batteries dying? Thank you!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Hi- i just recently purchased a 2005 crownline 21.6 ls. It has the 350 5.7 mercruiser. The battery controller which you use to turn from off, to 1, 2 or all is my question. It has a key to lock it on off, so that you can’t start the boat. However, when the battery switch is to off, i still have power. Lights, pumps, everything still will turn on. Is this normal? In my grady when i turned it to off, there was no power whatsoever. I know the bilge pump would need power, but this boat is on a trailer at the moment. Do i need to worry about the batteries dying? Thank you!
No, that’s not normal.

In the off position, switch should be disconnected from both batteries. bilge pump is typically wired direct to the battery.

Guessing they wired the accessories direct to battery

1650834712635.jpeg

Noteworthy05

Recruit
Ok thanks- it is at my family vacation home and wrapped until Memorial Day when I’ll clean it up and drop it in the lake. Hoping with everything off I may not have a dead battery. Is rewiring the accessories a difficult process?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Ok thanks- it is at my family vacation home and wrapped until Memorial Day when I’ll clean it up and drop it in the lake. Hoping with everything off I may not have a dead battery.
If you don’t remove the battery outright for winter at least disconnect the positive cable from the battery. Seen more than a few dead batteries with burned up bilge pumps coming out of storage.
Is rewiring the accessories a difficult process?
Normally would involve moving a wire(s) from one terminal to another