Battery Problems

MiKeC.

Cadet
I let my boat sit up for about 4 1/2 months now it wont hold a charge. The battery was only 4 months old. Could the battery be dead from sitting to long with charging or starting or could it be something wired wrong causing it to drain the battery.

vipzach

Lieutenant
Re: Battery Problems

Welcome to iboats! It could be either. Pull the battery out of the boat and try to fully charge it. If it holds the charge just siting there, then check the boat wiring. I would guess that the battery may be ruined if it sat that long dead. :(

ed/il

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Return it if you have the receipt.

MiKeC.

Cadet

No receipt....... Will try but I think i will have to buy a new one..... <br /><br /> Any suggestions on size and name brand???<br /><br />Evinrude 115

ed/il

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think the gel batteries hold up better when in storage. Anyone here know for sure? You might be able to save your battery by doing an equalizing charge. Do a search and you will find out how that is done.

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer

Batteries are one item that bigger may be better, and AGMs offer a low self-discharge when idle. Get the biggest one you can fit/afford, and keep it charged.

goinhungry

Seaman

Also, disconnect the battery when you're storing it. This will prevent a slow drain. Can do it by hand, or use a switch.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I always disconnect the battery in storage, dont use a charger, and it has lasted 4 years. It has sat for several months at some times.<br /><br />It is just a cheapo walmart car battery.<br /><br />Gonna get it home this weekend, so we will see if it is OK. Havent run it in about 6 months.<br /><br />Ken

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you find them buy trojans......you can buy better batteries, If you want to spend alot of money, but trojans are a good battery...BTW, where the ones you need to replace everstart? (walmart)... some people seem to like them I Hate them!!!! <br /><br /> Jim

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Just got it out of storage, I put the charger on the battery for 10 minutes and she struggled a bit but it started good.<br /><br />Ken

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by cuzner:<br /> If you find them buy trojans......you can buy better batteries,
I dont think that you can buy a better regular deep cycle than a Trojan. I have used them all I think, and the Trojans are superior.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Where do they sell the Trojan Batteries? Lookin' for a new Deep Cycle this weekend...

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey Rick ,check your yellow pages for forklift repair or any other company that might service golf carts. Trojan also puts out another name battery not available to retailers, but I can't think of the name.<br /><br /><br /> Jim

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Jim, will do. I was just heading out the door to check some batteries out, so I'll look into those first....

bandsaw48

Seaman Apprentice

Fihingmike, you may not want a deep cycle depending on your boat. If you don't sleep on it... a good starting battery should do fine.<br /><br />Greg

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

DOes your boat have a radio? My bateries used to do the same thing. Becasue there is no ignition position like on a car (at least in my boat), even when the radio is 'off', it sucks juice. Takes about 2 days to drain my deep cycle. I now shut the batteries off with a switch.

jch7450

Petty Officer 1st Class

yep get a cut-off switch, but if it's kept in the water, make sure the pump still has power to it :confused: