Battery Options.

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a single combination starting/deep cycle battery that starts the main engine (110hp Johnson) and runs everything else on the boat, fishfinders, GPS, lights, electric downriggers, etc. I do most of my fishing on a kicker motor that doesn't have an alternator. Winter fishing in Puget Sound requires that you go deep, 120 to 200+ feet down, and cranking the weights up from those depths has taken a toll on my two-year-old battery. I'm considering my options for replacement.<br /><br />Option 1. Keep it simple and just replace the battery.<br /><br />Option 2. Install a matched set of dual combination starting/deep cycle batteries and a battery switch.<br /><br />Option 3. Install a starting battery, a deep cycle battery and a battery switch.<br /><br />Any comments or advice on the pros and cons of battery options?

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Battery Options.

Option 3 in my opinion is your best option. You need a TRUE deep cell for your accessories and I dont believe the combo batteries can sustain the repeated drain/charge cycles and then high amp cranking needed for your O/B. Also, It would be cheaper since you could buy a starting battery (usually cheap) and a deep cell (expensive) verses two dual purpose (close to deep cell's in price). Check into it, I have had that setup before and currently and works out great. Will be interested to hear others opinions/experiences. Good luck

Arnold96

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Definately not #1. 2 and 3 both have advantages. It mainly depends on how much time you spend running off of the battery. Also when starting/charging it probably won't matter with option 3 that the batteries are mismatched. However, when just running off of the battery(s), you should only be using one of the batteries as mismatched batteries can actually attempt to charge from the stronger to weaker battery; reducing the overall amount of charge. It takes 1.4 times as much juice to charge a battery as it will give back.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Puget<br />I do not know the output of your 110 Johnson but if you feel it is enough to charge both batteries I would try option 3 but also add a battery isolator. Option 3 with the battery switch would stop the starting battery from running down as long as you do not use the both postion. If you get a battery switch I strongly recomend you get one that has a field disconect circuit. This saves your alternator if you turn it while motor is running or it gets turned to off with motor running. Many outboards do not have enough amps to charge two battery but with option 3 at least you are not running down your starting battery and the deep cycle can be charged when you get home.