Battery not recharching

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 92 Johnson 48SPL which I replaced the battery for about a month ago because I thought it wasn't taking a charge. Didn't have any idea how old it was, so I figured I'd just replace it. Well, now the new one is beat after a night fishing trip (lights running the whole time) and will not recharge when the engine is running. Can someone let me know what kind of alternator or whatever I've got that needs replacing? Thanks in advance for your help!

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Battery not recharching

First... Have you got a volt meter to see what it is doing? If not, do you have a DVM to check the output, stator, and rectifier?

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, I can get my hands on either to do some testing. I just needed a place to start and/or if this was a common enough problem that I could pick the part up on my way home and swap it out (referencing the manual since I can rebuild blown motors all day, but am electrically illiterate :D ). <br /><br />The engine runs great, just not charging up the bat while underway. Thanks for the reply!

Namcali

Seaman

First check the charging fuse. If it's blown, figure out why it's blown. With a voltmeter, check the voltage when the engine is running, it should be around 14.4V. If not, check the power pack, voltage regulator, and the alternator it self.<br /><br />The above are general suggestions only. I do not know specificially your engine.<br /><br />Good luck,<br /><br />Nam