Battery not getting charged??

victor26086

Seaman Apprentice
I ran into some problems over the weekend. How can I check to see if my battery is getting charged. How does it get charged and how to i test it? does it have an alternator like a vehicle? I notice that my voltage meter does not go above 11.5 volts either with engine on or off.

Its a johnson 112hp 1995. current battry has 1000 crank power (starting)

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Battery not getting charged??

you better give more info like year and model of the motor..or u will not get any info.....they need something to work with.....these guys here are good...but not that good with out any info

Al

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

At 11.5 v it's clearly not charging. Consult OEM shop manual for a functional description of how it works. It's functionally similar to a car system, but the design is mechanically very different.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Doesn't matter if it is a Mercedes Benz, it isn't charging at only 11.5 volts. Either that, or you have too many power-hungry accessories draining the battery faster than you are replenishing it.

Cause and troubleshooting depends on the specifics for the motor. Not all are alike.

victor26086

Seaman Apprentice

Doesn't matter if it is a Mercedes Benz, it isn't charging at only 11.5 volts. Either that, or you have too many power-hungry accessories draining the battery faster than you are replenishing it.

Cause and troubleshooting depends on the specifics for the motor. Not all are alike.

Thanks, Yeah ,my guess its not charging, but I dont know how the "alternator" looks like... or how I can test it. Does anyone know how my charging system might look like?

Oh and i do not have accessories running at all.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You have a stator under the flywheel that is controlled by a regulator. It would be to your advantage to get the OEM manual and use it to check out your system.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

A battery reading only 11.5 volts is completely discharged. It may already be wrecked as a result of discharging it so low but if there is any hope of saving it get it on a battery charger without delay. You will probably need a multi-stage charger that also incorporates a battery reconditioning stage.

It appears that 20" versions of the 1995 Johnson 112 hp have a 6 amp stator coil and a non regulated rectifier while 25" versions have a water cooled rectifier/regulator and a more powerful stator coil

You can test the non regulated type by following Joe Reeves' instructions on the Engine Frequently Asked Questions board but if you use a digital multimeter use the diode test setting rather than an ohms range

Which ever type check the volts at the red lead from the rectifier.

You should also be able to check the output from the stator coil by measuring the AC volts between the yellow wires from the stator at the terminal strip where the rectifier is connected.

victor26086

Seaman Apprentice

Vic.S,

Thanks. I do have the 20" shaft, So your saying that it may be the rectifier? or are you saying that if i check the rectifier I will find if the Stator is bad? I recently replaced the rectifier, had to replace because the tach wasnt working. The tach does work now.

The new rectifier only had two solid yellow wires the old one had a solid yellow and a yellow with gray. Someone mentioned that it did not matter which one went were as long as the red was on the right place

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Whoa, if the tach is working, the alternator probably is working. Better check that battery. Places like Auto Zone or Advance Auto will test it for free.

victor26086

Seaman Apprentice

Whoa, if the tach is working, the alternator probably is working. Better check that battery. Places like Auto Zone or Advance Auto will test it for free.

But why is the volt meter on the boat and my volt meter stay under or at 12volts?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

The battery may have a dead cell or internal short. As F_R suggested, get it tested.

victor26086

Seaman Apprentice

Just got new battery and its still not showing more than 12 when running.

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer

Where did you get the 11.5 volt reading? If you got it by reading volt meter accross the battery terminals, you probably have a bad battery to start with, Take it to a shop to have it load tested.

The charging systems are more like a battery maintainer than a full blown charging system. You have to run a lot at high speeds to get anything that remotely appears to be a charged battery.

I put mine on a charger after every outing. First the starting battery, then the trolling.

victor26086

Seaman Apprentice

Where did you get the 11.5 volt reading? If you got it by reading volt meter accross the battery terminals, you probably have a bad battery to start with, Take it to a shop to have it load tested.

The charging systems are more like a battery maintainer than a full blown charging system. You have to run a lot at high speeds to get anything that remotely appears to be a charged battery.

I put mine on a charger after every outing. First the starting battery, then the trolling.

I installed a new battery and now gets 12.3 but doesnt go higher than that at 1,000-2,000 rpm. It remains at 12.3.

By the way I just got boat not long ago and I never charge it. I thought it was like a car. (charges it self when running). A few days ago i was working on the boat with music on so i probably drained battery then, but I turned it on with jumper cables and then the following day it was dead again.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Check your private messages.