Battery location

Crestliner2007

Seaman Apprentice
This may be a dumb question. A small 12' aluminum open fishing boat. How close can a battery be to a carry-on 6 gal. gas tank? I would like to be able to run both the main engine (7.5 hp) and a 40# thrust electric, off the stern. With the gas tank near the engine (behind the rear seat, can I just put the battery across from it in the same general area? Thank you for your input.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Battery location

It's done that way all the time. But careful wiring and making sure nothing falls on the battery terminals to create sparks is essential. Therefore, the battery gets installed in a vented battery box.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Yep, put the batt in a box w a lid and strap it down if at all possible. Also consider that if it's just you in the boat, moving the battery and fuel forward will make for a much better balanced boat and it will run better so ya might want to set it up with wiring and fuel hose long enough to do so when needed.

Crestliner2007

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys, I figured this would be O.K.. Just wanted to make sure is all.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

too much weight in the stern.
First, 6 gallons is a lot for a 7.5; see if you can get by with 3. A 3 gallon tank takes up less room, obviously, but half a 6 solves the weight problem. nervous with 3? stash a 1 gallon reserve in the bow.

In boats at 12-14' I always put the gas in front of the rear seat, as close amidships, and on the port side.

I've also never had a battery in a boat < 14 ' or <25 hp--all pull start. But I'd put the battery amidships and opposite the gas tank. Which ever is heavier should go on the port side.

4 big weights in the stern of a 12' is a bad idea. Hope your anchor isn't back there, too!

64osby

Admiral

I put mine on the middle seat. The cables from my old trolling motor still reach it, get some weight forward, it sits level secure. up off the floor and doesn't take up any real seating area.

LSBatteryBox.jpg

barrynfla

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 13' fiberglass tri-hull with a 25hp Johnson and had it set up the same as you.......6 gallon gas tank and TM battery behind the rear seat. Went out like that alone ONCE.....was taking water over the transom and almost sank the boat!

I've moved the gas tank and battery in front of the rear bench seat and it's better but they really should be tied down somehow. My gas tank moves around some but the battery pretty much stays put. I believe the battery should be further toward the bow. The boat rides much better when I fish with someone else in the bow. My anchor is in the bow, also.

Good luck!

Barry

Crestliner2007

Seaman Apprentice

Obviously I will balance the load, which is critical in a small boat like this. I'll see about putting the battery mid-ships, but the gas tank will stay in the rear-most compartment. Just not enough mid-ship space for that size tank and a battery. We do need to put some of our fishing equipment somewhere! LOL! :)

As far as the size of the tank goes, it's what came with the boat, so I'm O.K. with that. About 20 years ago, I had 14' semi-V (this new 12' Dura Nautic is a deep-V) with a 7.5 hp Johnson. The tank would last me about 2 to 3 trips. That was a lot older engine than what I'm using now, but I don't think the size of the tank will not be that much of a factor - I hope I'm not wrong!. (We'll see soon enough.) I do wish it was smaller! But the budget won't allow that this year.

Thanks again for all your great suggestions. I feel better now. :)