Battery location

novelles

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I got a question for you from a newbie. Last year I bought a Bayliner Capri 1851 SS that has the original battery on the port side and an additional battery installed later on the other side. The original one is isolated from the engine area and placed into a plastic box. The other one is close to the starter motor, has no support, no cover and difficult access.<br /><br />Besides, on the right side of the boat, there is a water tank for the shower so that there is more weight in the right side and the boat lists to that side.<br /><br />What is this all about? Well, I am considering to move the additional battery to the port side just in front of the original one and make a correct support for it. By doing this, I think I will get a better weight distribution.<br /><br />Is there any problem with having the two batteries together? Should I move it or leave it as it is? Any suggestions?<br /><br />Thanks

18rabbit

Captain
Re: Battery location

To answer your question, no, it doesn’t matter. The most common batteries require periodic maintenance so placement should take this into consideration. You do not want to run the batteries connected in parallel if they are not the same type and size. Shorter battery cables, are usually preferred. Batteries must be strapped or otherwise secured firmly in place.<br /><br />The batteries should be installed in an enclosed, non-corrosive container that will hold any acid that spills or leaks. The container should be vented on the top to allow hydrogen gas (a byproduct of batteries) to escape and dissipate. Hydrogen will rise in air. Battery boxes are designed for this, often come with the hold down strap, they are commonly available and are not expensive.

Bondo

Staff member

Ya, I agree, No Reason Not too......<br />To Wire it, I'd think wiring the 2 batteries to a Batt. Switch, Then to the Starter would be the Best way....<br />Other-wise, Parallel will work, as long as the batteries are the Same in every way....

Ralph 123

Captain

The only problem with hard wiring them in parallel is you risk a bad battery taking down both of them - the good battery can discharge right into the bad one. It can defeat the purpose of having 2 batteries in the first place. Take the time and wire a 1-2-Both switch or go even further and use an isolator or combiner.

novelles

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry guys I didn't explain properly. I already have a switch to turn both or either of them on. I was considering putting one just in front of the other, just to balance weight in the boat, but not in parallel. I was just wondering if there is a possibility of having a battery exploding and affecting the other one because of the proximity. Main reason of moving it is the weight and the location, which I think is better than on the other side, too close to the starter.<br /><br />Due to the weight of the water tank, there is always some water on the right side and the support of the trim pump is getting seriously rusted.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.

18rabbit

Captain

It does not matter if they sit next to each other. the battery cases are insulated so it is ok if they touch each other.

Bondo

Staff member

In Class 8 Trucks,+ Heavy Equip. we put up to 4 batteries mounted together in a single tray.....<br />No Reason to Worry about the physical closeness of the cases.....

novelles

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks a lot. I will move it this weekend. Do you think it will solve the listing problem at all? It's listing about 1,5 or 2 inches.