Battery keeps discharging

meheron

Recruit
I have a 2005 Bayliner 175, it is bare bones as far as options goes, the only addition is a depth finder, no radio or any other accessories that would run battery down but after sitting for a week or so battery is dead. What might be causing this? Bilge is not running and depth finder is always turned off, I am at complete loss trying to figure the cause, any advice would be a great assistance.

meheron

Recruit
OK, after trying to figure this out for a year and just posting this question a few minutes ago, I had a thought, if the kill switch is in the on position would that cause battery to run down?

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
First are you sure the battery is good and taking a full charge? Do you have a digital multi meter to troubleshoot with?

alldodge

Staff member
OK, after trying to figure this out for a year and just posting this question a few minutes ago, I had a thought, if the kill switch is in the on position would that cause battery to run down?

No that should have no effect. Only when the ignition key is turn to run position "should" the purple wire have 12V on it. The kill switch is powered by the key in the run position, and when kill switch is turned off (in open position) it breaks the connection to the purple wire.

Charge the battery, have everything off and remove the positive battery cable. After a few minutes touch the battery cable back to the post and see if you see a spark. If you do start pulling fuses or turning breakers off, then one by one turn them on and repeat. If you do not see a spark, find a volt meter with an amp setting of at least 10 amps. Put the meter in line between the positive post and the battery cable with everything off and see what reading you get

meheron

Recruit
I have been having this problem even after a new battery so something is draining it, I just got wing nuts on the batt so when I'm done I can just do a quick disconnect, think AllDodge has given me my next course of action.

As a side note, I am new here as well as new to boating this forum has been much help, so thanks so much.