battery issues

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
my last visit to the lake, I experienced an issue with one of my batteries. I have two in the boat (don't know which kind off hand) but one of them drained and would not start my boat. luckily I wasn't running both of the batteries at once. I was able to switch over to the other battery and go about my day.

isn't the alternator supposed to charge the battery? so does this mean my alternator may be bad?

another thing is, i'm thinking of buying a new marine battery.

what kind of batteries or battery combo would you all suggest? I don't have gps, don't have a killer stereo system, just a couple of small speakers (which I don't use because I don't want to drain my battery), don't have a fish finder. just a plain old boat with two batteries.

At times, my family and I like to stop the boat in the middle of the lake between wakeboarding runs and just swim around. we would love to have the music playing but I would prefer a guaranteed start so I can get back at the end of the day.

so with all that said, would do you guys recommend, and I will post what kind of batteries I have tomorrow.

this is what I have been reading about,

Cranking Batteries

Deep-Cycle Batteries

dual purupose batteries

Wet Cell, Gel or AGM.

i'm thinking of going with a multipurpose gel or AGM I think, along with one of the batteries that I already have on my boat, its not that old, has only been recharged less than 8 times. what can you guys suggest?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: battery issues

Sounds like one battery is carp, and you used your existing switch properly. I would buy a decent, but not too expensive, dual purpose. And I would keep using my switch exactly like you did. This assume both batteries had a good charge when you started out.

Skiya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Forget the dual purpose battery. Battery one should be a cranking battery to start the boat. Battery two for electronics, since you don't have a cranking stereo a good deep cell should do for Batt 2. As you add more electronics/amps ect you will need a better battery. AGM's are good for the upgraded stereo system. You say you have 2 batteries now so I assume you have a switch for batt 1, Batt 2 and all. Just leave it on 1 when cruising around, boarding ect... Switch to Batt 2 when you want to play your music.

kemer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The way we use our dual battery setup is we cruise with the switch set to all so that the alternator charges both batteries as we go. When we beach I'll switch to either battery so that I have the other to start up again.

I'll have to agree with the assessment that one of your batteries is a goner. Just that time of year, the heat just eats batteries alive.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Your boat likely has a voltmeter as one of the instruments. What does it show at 2000 rpm or more. Thats how you tell if the alternator is working.

John3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The way we use our dual battery setup is we cruise with the switch set to all so that the alternator charges both batteries as we go. When we beach I'll switch to either battery so that I have the other to start up again.

I'm with Kermit on the dual battery setup, except on the beach I switch to the weakest/oldest battery , keeping the best one in reserve to start the motor again.
Re your Alternator, it seems you haven't proven that it's working properly. Your 2nd battery may have had a full charge and got you back without the Alternators help. A simple test is to check the battery voltage with the motor off, start the motor, the additional voltage going to the battery should show an increase. I use an inexpensive digital Volt Meter from Home Depot.
Happy Boating,
John

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

is there a specific side of the boat that is always designated to battery 1 and battery two? Like lets say port side is always battery 1? or is this just something I'm going to have to try out by disconnecting one of the batteries and attempting to start the boat, in order to find out which side is battery 1 and battery two? Also, I just checked both batteries and both of them appear to have been made in 2010. One of them looks like an AutoZone brand and the other a bass pro. The bass pro looks sealed bit im not sure, the other is not and still has water in it but dont know how much. I will post pics of both batteries after dinner. Im BBQing whoo hoooo

QC

Supreme Mariner

I'll take Skiya's suggestion under advisement. I use two equal batteries. 1st cruise of each day I keep batt switch on both. After that 1st cruise, I switch the battery to 1 or 2 depending on even or odd date. I do not return to both until next AM start. If I detect a weaker battery I also use it as primary and keep stronger battery in reserve.

In regards to Skiya's comment, I understand deep cycle. If I have some dedicated components like a trolling motor or maybe a serious system, then maybe I agree. I prefer two balanced batteries for most pleasure boats.

There is no rule on port or starboard correlation, and even if there was I wouldn't trust it without testing them for myself.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another thing I didnt mention was, when I checked them a little while ago. Both of them read at least 12.00 v with the digital multimeter. I never removed them to recharge or anything after my last trip. WTH???

The bigger bass pro battery that I think would be the better one is a XPS power series "deep cycle" 185 battery. The other one is a Duralast "dual purpose" battery the duralast has a date of 7/10 and the bass pro xps has a date of 8/10

UncleWillie

Captain

my last visit to the lake, I experienced an issue with one of my batteries. I have two in the boat (don't know which kind off hand) but one of them drained and would not start my boat. luckily I wasn't running both of the batteries at once. I was able to switch over to the other battery and go about my day.

isn't the alternator supposed to charge the battery? so does this mean my alternator may be bad?...

... Battery one should be a cranking battery to start the boat. Battery two for electronics, ...you have a switch for batt 1, Batt 2 and all. Just leave it on 1 when cruising around, boarding ect... Switch to Batt 2 when you want to play your music.

I missed the part where both batteries got charged!
Unless a battery is selected, it will NOT be charged.
Switch to BOTH while cruising. Select one of the batteries while stopped to keep the other in reserve.
An ACR System would eliminate the whole issue of remembering to operate the switch properly.

With the engine running, if the Battery does not measure ~14 volts, it is NOT being Charged.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

heres a couple of pics of both batteries.

here is the Bass pro xps power series deep cycle 185

and here is the Duralast Dual purpose marine battery

the reading on the multimeter again, is approximately a two weeks now after last being out, I did recharge it before I went out last time. but after I left the lake, I have not charged either one. and this is the reading I got. but for some reason, even though they both show at least 12V, one of them wouldn't turn the engine over last time.

more comments???

Also, with that aside, if I buy a new battery, which one do you guys suggest I buy? or should I replace both and be done with it since both are approximately 3 years old? Also what kind

Cranking Batteries

Deep-Cycle Batteries

dual purupose batteries

Wet Cell, Gel or AGM?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The Bass Pro battery isn't charged. 12 volts is discharged somewhat. The dribbles on the top and side of the BPS, is that acid that bubbled out of the battery? Check the acid level in both batteries.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I guess you should simply roll the dice. Glad we could help :rolleyes:

UncleWillie

Captain

... if I buy a new battery, which one do you guys suggest I buy? or should I replace both and be done with it since both are approximately 3 years old? Also what kind

Cranking Batteries
Deep-Cycle Batteries
dual propose batteries
Wet Cell, Gel or AGM?

There is nothing to indicate that either battery need to be replaced. (Yet!)
3 years is not Old!
The Duralast is showing it is charged.
The Bass PRO needs a cleaning, Water Check, and a Charge.

If the Battery will not crank the engine; Measure the Battery voltage while cranking.
Measure on the Actual Battery Posts, NOT the Clamps or the wires.
You may just have a poor connection somewhere.

If the Deep cycle need replacing, A Standard Flooded Cell is acceptable.
AGM, and Especially, Gel Batteries, need special chargers, will cost twice the money, and are not justified for recreational use.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok so I guess I will check the water level in both batts, and when I do buy, I'll probably go with one cranking and one deep cycle multi purpse Batt.