Battery help/advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

utbasketballloft

Seaman Apprentice
I need some help/advice on some boat electronics. I have a 200 watt cd player in my boat, I want to be able to leave the radio going while anchored and swimming and not have to worry about the battery dying. I've researche things and I do not want to wire a battery switch it's just time and money I don't wanna do it. Should I jut install a small battery and hook it straight to that and jut bring that battery home with me to charge at night? This is the way I am leaning but was wondering what people recommen a deep cycle or what?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Battery help/advice

I would go with a starting battery and a house battery to run all your stuff, radio, lights ect that way you know you will never run out of starting battery.

You may have to do a small amount of wireing to seperate the boat from the engine but that is how it works, you can leave the starting battery in the baot as the engine charges that and just bring the deep cycle home to charge.

I night fish and run 3 batteries, a starter and 2 house and I set it up so I can jump between them if any ever go dead.

As to the battery get the biggest deep cycle you can afford, you don't need to spend $200 on it but you can, I have had pretty good luck with the Wal Mart batteries adn it is imprtant to get it charged as soon as possible, it will make the battery last longer.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A "small" battery as you called it will not run a 200 watt audio system very long. Better consider upping the AHr rating a bit. You need a group 22 or 24 size deep cycle. If you don't want a swtich, ACR, or isolator, then your only choice is to charge the battery wherever you have access to AC power.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Double posting is frowned on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.