Battery Getting Hot and SPARKING!!

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm winterizing my boat as we speak. A bit late i know but its in my garage and is getting nice and dry.. Anyways.

I tried to turn the motor over (been sitting for about 3 months without trying to start it) and the thing wouldnt budge so i put it on a battery tender for 24 hours or so and put the battery back in. The thing cranked right over and almost started on the first turn of my key. But after trying a few times and priming the carb with the throttle and what not it wouldnt go again. Then all of a sudden when i tried again i saw some sparks come off the + side of the battery. Then some off the - side. So i went to feel the main wire on the + side and it was bit warm not too bad then I touched the + terminal and damn near burned my finger tip off. So I pulled the key and am now letting it sit. The motor doesnt sound like it has any extra resistance on the motor it sounds like it usually does when its turning over.

Last summer before I stoped using the boat It was having voltage spikes almost constantly due to the voltage regulator. When the motor was on and the stator was charging I would blow light bulbs all the time and it broke my voltage gauge. The needle is stuck about 2 volts higher then the battery really is. My guess is when the boat runs its putting out 28 volts or more.

Heres my final question. Is the reason my battery is sparking and heating up like that due to the fact that I could have fryed my battery. I'd say i've logged about 5-6 hours on my motor with the bad regulator (water cooled) at least.

My motor is an MCM 170 3.7L.

Thanks
Ken

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Battery Getting Hot and SPARKING!!

The cables attached to the battery must be clean and tight. Slightly snug with wingnuts is NOT how to install them. But after running with that much excess voltage, your battery is probably dead also. Any water in it?

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im not sure about this water question? The battery is two seasons old. Are you talking about popping those caps off and adding water? If so i've never checked it. Walk me through it if you can.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

You do it exactly as you describe. You pop the caps off and add water. :)
Distilled water is best, but any water will do. Just top each cell off with water.

Just a thought - something I read somewhere....The batteries didn't freeze did they? I understand a frozen battery will cause all kinds of problems.... but that is a little out of my experience here in sunny Florida!

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Haha thanks for reminding me that i live in cleveland ohio. My buddy lives in tarpon springs and ive always wanted to move down there. Oh well. Maybe some day. It hasnt really been that cold to freeze a battery.

Update:
I tightened the wingnuts on the batter down . They were a tad bit loose. I was just putting it on there real quick to try to start it. This time it cranked over smoothly(didnt start though) and no sparks and id didnt seem to get hot. Could it simply be a bad connection would cause the posts to get that hot?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

If the water is very low the battery is probably no good anyway.They can't take long periods of over charging.28 volts will boil a battery..
The thing to do is fix the charging problem and replace the battery.Why not fix it right?

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I plan on fixing it next spring i just basically wanted to turn it over before i put it away for the winter to make sure it runs good and all.

Thanks guys for all your help.
Ken

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Dirty battery terminals can arc and get extremely hot.Clean them up and check the batterys charge and give it a try...