Battery gauge

catfishhoward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there a digital gauge you can mount on a dash board or in your battery department that shows what percentage or amp hours is left on you 12v deep cycle battery? I camp on my boat and would like to know I have enough power to run the running light for 12 hours.

I would like it to change the percentage or amp hour left as you connect or disconnect items from your battery, does this exist?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Is there a digital gauge you can mount on a dash board or in your battery department that shows what percentage or amp hours is left on you 12v deep cycle battery? I camp on my boat and would like to know I have enough power to run the running light for 12 hours.

I would like it to change the percentage or amp hour left as you connect or disconnect items from your battery, does this exist?
a good volt meter

for a generic lead acid battery:
12.0 volts is fully discharged
12.7 volts is fully charged

AGM is slightly different

you should have two batteries for what you want to do, one cranking battery and one house battery separated by at least a battery switch or ACR

catfishhoward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
a good volt meter

for a generic lead acid battery:
12.0 volts is fully discharged
12.7 volts is fully charged

AGM is slightly different

you should have two batteries for what you want to do, one cranking battery and one house battery separated by at least a battery switch or ACR
Thanks but I was looking for more of a dash meter letting you know what power you have left from the amps it's currently pulling? Something like your fuel gauge on a car or truck that lets you know how many miles you have left until empty. I just want to know how many hours I have left till "12.0 volts is fully discharged" depending on power being drawn at that moment.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Thanks but I was looking for more of a dash meter letting you know what power you have left from the amps it's currently pulling? Something like your fuel gauge on a car or truck that lets you know how many miles you have left until empty. I just want to know how many hours I have left till "12.0 volts is fully discharged"

sam am I

Commander
Another options here, I have/use 4 of their products currently, phoenix inverter, their smartshunt and 2 diode isolators..... All very good quality stuff.

catfishhoward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just got this in yesterday from Amazon. So far i'm very impressed. In the photo I've had my trolling motor running on high speed for 2 hours. When it started it was 122AH, 100%, 12.9V and 31 hours left on the battery. Obviously it won't run for 31 hours so I guess I'll see what the AH and Volts are when the trolling motor stops and remember the results. I was also able to turn on my lights one at a time to see what amps and watts each light stripe was using. It also has an alarm you can set to what ever AH you want it to go off letting you know the battery is low.

Attachments

• Battery monitor b.jpg
    Battery monitor b.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 9

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The Victron solutions are the best. The Victron Smart Shunt is only $135 if you don't mind just using your phone. On my travel trailer, I use the Victron BMV-712

Brando33

Seaman Apprentice
Just got this in yesterday from Amazon. So far i'm very impressed. In the photo I've had my trolling motor running on high speed for 2 hours. When it started it was 122AH, 100%, 12.9V and 31 hours left on the battery. Obviously it won't run for 31 hours so I guess I'll see what the AH and Volts are when the trolling motor stops and remember the results. I was also able to turn on my lights one at a time to see what amps and watts each light stripe was using. It also has an alarm you can set to what ever AH you want it to go off letting you know the battery is low.
So, how has this been working for you. I was looking at all of them on Amazon, Including the one you have. Seems all of them below $100 have very mixed reviews which I take with a grain of salt because I include possible user error. I have a run-about which I keep two batteries just because I can. But want to have a solid and useful monitor. Seems the accuracy of some are suspect as noted by some who have adjustable power supplies and load banks. I like the smaller displays like yours because of my dash/console.