Battery drain

I have two batteries on my 1994 LArson Hampton 240. One has a difficult time maintaining a charge, after it has not been used for only 4 days.<br />With the battery master switch in the off position, I can still hear what appears to be an electrical humm coming from the engine compartment.<br />Is there anyhting on a boat that runs even with the main switch off?<br />First time boater here, so my knowledge is very limited as to how these contraptions work.<br />Any input would be appreciated.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Battery drain

On my second boat there was a direct connection from the battery to the trim pump. It was the Mercruiser recomendation then ('95). It allowed you to trim up/down without getting to the battery switch. There should be no hum from that though. Who knows what else could be hooked up to your battery. Bascially anything could have been added by the last owner(s). . .<br /><br />Your bilge pump could be directly wired as that would allow the float switch to turn it on if it started to take on water at a mooring. If the bilge is dry, the pump running could be a quiet hum. Yes, I know the float switch should turn it off, but that could be the problem . . .

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey Travis.. have you checked your bilge pump? If you have a float( auto) on it they can get stuff jammed under the float,keeping the pump on. Could be the cause of the hum, and drained battery.<br /><br /> Jim

QC

Supreme Mariner

Like, cuz. I already said that . . . :D

TilliamWe

Banned

Is there anyhting on a boat that runs even with the main switch off?<br />
There are things that may have the ability to run without the battery switch on (bilge pump number one answer!), but they shouldn't be running all the time!

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sorry Cat, did'nt read your post till I posted<br /> :eek: <br /><br /><br /> Jim

QC

Supreme Mariner

I'm coooo . . . just razin'

Originally posted by Quietcat:<br />[QB] On my second boat there was a direct connection from the battery to the trim pump. It was the Mercruiser recomendation then ('95). It allowed you to trim up/down without getting to the battery switch. There should be no hum from that though. Who knows what else could be hooked up to your battery. Bascially anything could have been added by the last owner(s). . .

Thanks for the input Cat, that might be the situation. I got down in the engine compartment and the noise is coming from the rear of the engine right by where the outdrive is. <br />This weekend I will try and operate the trim switch to see if that is what is still active even with batteries off.<br />I ruled out the bilge pump, cause i can activate that from the dash panel and it shuts off when i kill the main power.<br />I appreciate the input.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Your trim pump should be easy to spot, however I really doubt that it is humming along doing nothing, but I guess it is possible. The trimp pump will have two hoses going to it, sticks up about a foot and is usually mounted to the floor. There is a semi-transparent reservoir at the bottom for the hydraulic fluid. Good luck! <br /><br />I would take a look at the batteries' posts and see if there are any wires other than the main cables to/from your battery switch. The only way (if the switch is right) that something can pull from those batteries with the main switch off is if something is wired directly to them . . .

18rabbit

Captain

MOD – this thread should moved up to the electrical forum where Transversing Travis can get help with properly configuring his bat connections.