battery charging - twins

diamonddave

Seaman
I recently aquirred a 1976 Pacemaker Sportfisherman with twin 318 c.u. chryslers, each engine has a starting battery only and seem to be interconnected for house loads. I think I need to add a seperate deep cycle battery to each engine and isolate them using 2 batt (1-2-both-off) switches. I'm not sure the size of my present alternator and exactly how to go about the wiring, although I know I want to be able to isolate each of the four batteries. Also can I use my present 30 A shorepower battery charger to charge all the batteries I will have. Should I add just one deep cycle battery and charge it from one engine only.<br /><br />Regards David

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: battery charging - twins

Others will jump in here I think. What you want is two marine starting batteries with two battery switches as you describe. You want them wired so that you can start either motor from either battery and be able to connect both together in parallel if necessary. Most folks charge their deep cycle batteries with shore power (your charger is fine if an auto shut-off) as most alternators have a tough time putting out enough juice to bring a discharged deep cycle back to full charge.