Battery charging/Regulator rectifier installation

Fishfinatic

Cadet
So I am looking to add a regulator rectifier to my Johnson 1990 30 hp J30RESS, I bought the motor this winter and have gone through most of it to factory specs with the manual. I want to add a regulator rectifier to charge the battery, however the manual shows a wiring diagram that is slightly different than what’s on my motor, I have a tan wire which hooks to the temp sensor, then a solid yellow, and a black and white which is the ac current output I believe if I’m not mistaken, then there are two black wires which go to the kill switch/ground in handle tiller, there are no instructions in the manual and I’m no electrician, I was gonna put my tester on it while running it to see output to get a better handle on what’s ac output(wires are like black coated almost paint or hardened dried on oil from over the yearsmaking it tricky to distinguish original color. I don’t have a starter on the motor it’s a rope start. Yamaha’s seem pretty easy, what additional things do I need for the Johnson aside from the flash coil under the fly wheel which it already comes with from what I understand on this model I believe.. has anyone fitted a tiller handle Johnson like this with a regulator rectifier?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Are you sure you have the battery charging coils under the flywheel? The parts book says no. The battery charging coils are two coils on a common laminated core, and comes with electric start models. The other coil under there is for generating the electricity for the ignition system.

Fishfinatic

Cadet
Ahh maybe not, I thought I did... then it’s my misunderstanding, I thought I had a flash coil but just no starter, so basically I would need a flash coil, then whatever other components I’m missing that an electric start would have I presume to convert the ac to dc. I have no problems pulling the fly wheel and working on it I just have to make sure I don’t screw up timing when I pull it off I would think.. I’m going to look at the models with a starter and see if I can use the same coil associated with those models, or I guess it’s the secondary coil that your saying generates the ac if the other is for ignition to spark plugs. Hopefully mounting locations are similar with both models..

Fishfinatic

Cadet
I guess next step for me is checking the manual to closest model with the flash coil included and see how they differe I guess

Fishfinatic

Cadet
Just did some homework I think model J30ELSS is the sister model with the starter, it looks like I’ll need a charge coil, a 4 wire regulator rectifier and a terminal block possibly if I’m looking at it correctly..can you maybe confirm my findings ?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
The parts diagrams for the rope start model show what is decribed as the "charge coil", # 32, which is the charge coil for the CDI ignition

http://epc.brp.com/cgi-bin/ImgServ.e...&ilIF=P&ilRE=8

The parts diagrams for the electric start model show what is described as the "stator asembly",#18, This is the coil assembly for battery charging. It has three yellow wires ( one with a blue tracer and one with a gray tracer) which connect to a non regulated rectifier, # 49

There is (at least was) a battery charging kit, part number,174893, which included the stator, rectifier, terminal block, wiring and other bits and pieces.

Fishfinatic

Cadet
Thanks I’ll check those links out see what needs to be purchased to make this work properly, thanks for the advice it’s greatly appreciated!

Fishfinatic

Cadet
Should I worry about timing pulling fly wheel I would think so but maybe not as long as I make sure it goes back on in same position ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Pulling the flywheel will not affect the timing. It will only go back one way (keyed). You must use a torque wrench to tighten the nut to proper torque when re-installing it. I THINK that is 100-105 ft/lbs, but better double check on that.

Fishfinatic

Cadet
Ok good deal, I’ll check specs on the manual and torq it accordingly, thank you for the advice again I’ll let you know how it goes after installing the accessories.. BTW you were right about the battery kit and part number, I found a mom and pops marine place that had an old kit lying around.. but you are correct they don’t actually make the kit as far as I know anymore from what I found..