Battery Charging Kit Upgrade ?

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1989 Johnson 15 -J15RLCEC- My electric downriggers pull down my batteries while I'm trolling. The BRP website shows BATTERY CHARGING KIT pn/ 0174893 for my motor. Will this upgrade produce meaningful amperage at the trolling speeds I typically run( 1200-1500 rpm) ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Battery Charging Kit Upgrade ?

The 1988 kit was 4 amps. Dare I assume the 1989 would be similar?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The engine would put out 4 amps only at full throttle. 12-1500 RPM's would produce next to nothing.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Hard to believe downriggers would draw down a battery that is in good shape.A 100 ampere hour battery will deliver 5 amps for 20 hours or 10 amps for 10 hours or 20 amps for 5 hours and so on.Of course this will vary some based on temperature and figure in real life the actual rating is about 75%.I know nothing about down riggers but I wouldn't think one would draw more than 5 amps.Get yourself a good deep cycle battery the higher rating the better.It will run longer and will be able to handle more charge cycles in its life time.A battery should be recharged as soon as possible after use and not left partially discharged.It is also better to not to discharge a battery below 40% remaining.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

100 percent agreement with steelespike. A powerful dual purpose deep cycle battery is the way to go.

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A little more info. A 22' C-Dory Cruiser w/ Johnson 70 main. 6 amp maximum charging capacity. http://www.c-brats.com/albums/Adeline/St_Helens_Oregon.jpg Two batteries. Group 24 starting and a Group 31 Deep-Cycle. I often am out for a week at a time days and nights. Sometimes I weigh anchor in the morning and start trolling w/o ever starting the Johnson 70, and, never get a charge . What with the fishfinder(10 inch) and downriggers running all day and lights/accessories at night, the batteries get depleted. I was hoping that the charging kit might be a solution but at my trolling speeds maybe it isn't.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You do have a problem.Here are some thoughts.Get the kit and a trolling plate so you have to troll at a higher rpm.May take the edge off.
Group 31 batteries are rated from 95 to 125 amp hours.
I feel the very best battery for your application is the Trojan. The 30 XHS is 130 amp hours and is standard in the GEM electric car.(electric cars are the absolutely hardest application for batteries)My car will discharge 6 30XHS batteries in series to 40% in about 1 hour.Yet these batteries will will last 3 years in normal service.
These are a true deep cycle battery.
Another thought is 2 6 volt Golf cart batteries in series.
These are usually rated at about 225 amp. hours.
Again I feel the Trojan is best.
If you are talking about work light at night you might go to led lights I think these use something like 1/2 the normal with as much or more light.Maybe for running lights too.

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Spike, Those are all good suggestions. I misspoke about my "house" battery. It is an Everstart group 29. I have another question, though. The charging kit I mentioned doesn't include a different flywheel. Does that mean that my original flywheel already has the needed magnets or do I have to purchase a new one seperately(in addition to the kit) ?
ChargingKit.jpg

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Spike, Those are all good suggestions. I misspoke about my "house" battery. It is an Everstart group 29. I have another question, though. The charging kit I mentioned doesn't include a different flywheel. Does that mean that my original flywheel already has the needed magnets or do I have to purchase a new one seperately(in addition to the kit) ?

Attachments

• Charging Kit.bmp
    42 bytes · Views: 0

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry about the semi-hybrid double post.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I don't know about the flywheel but maybe if you look up
flywheels it may list if there is a different wheel for the motor with a charging set up.