Bat not charging??

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1963johnson 75hp electrictromatic. The battery does not seem to be charging. When I pull one of the battery cables engine dies. Where do I start. Would it be the regulator? There are only 2 wires I beleive going to it(box inside boat). Or would it be on the motor,meaning the generator? If so could someone explain test for either of these. Or any other suggestions as to what may be happening.<br /><br />Thanks

Jkurtz29

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Bat not charging??

Check <br /><br />1.) Batteries<br />2.) Connections<br />3.) Rectifier Regulator (i just had to replace mine for same problem)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Juice....being a 63', you've probably got a 12volt system, that is you need 12 volts to the "power pack" or amplifier to make the ignition work. If you pull the battery and the engine dies, this probably means the rectifier is shot as it supplies the amplifier with 12volts while the engine is running.

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jim:<br />Thanks a million, soory for dumw "Q" but is the rectifier the same as the regulator? Sorry again but I am new to boating this year. If it is different, can you please expalin as to where it is and what it looks like.<br />Thanks again Jim

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Juice...there ain't no dumb question here in the forums.<br /><br />I gotta back up a little on yer engine. If it's a 63' 75hp, and you have a charging system on it, look for a belt driven generatior. Would be on the opposite side of the starter. If you don't see one, then you do not have charging. Just need to keep the battery up.<br /><br />If you do have a generator, the voltage regulator will be in the box that houses the starter solenoid. It will look like on of the old automotive regulators they use to use on cars. Let me know what you find. Thanks.

juice71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes it is 1963. The regulator is in the panel inside the boat. Is the generator not under the fly wheel where the magnito is? How do I go about testing it. Is the stator same as generator?