Basstracker Boat for saltwater??

yngfireman

Recruit
I'm thinking of getting a basstracker for taking my little girl fishing in lakes around my town. But I like fishing for flounder and trout in the backwater of nc and sc. But I didn't know if using a non fiberglass boat and it only being 17ft. if that would cause problems? (ie. rusting the boat upon contact of the saltwater, or too much wake for a small boat) If anyone uses a boat simlar to this or has any suggestions please let me know,Thanks. And if you think I'm crazy to try to do this....... Let me know, I'de rather be alive and crazy than drowning any day!!!!!

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Basstracker Boat for saltwater??

The aluminum has no problem with salt water,just make sure to have some zinc anodes on your lower unit.
As for taking a bass tracker out on the brine....Unless it is in the lee of some big island,don't even think about it.
It will be fine as long as there is no wind and the engine works.
Now just imagine a lot of wind ,an outgoing tide and your engine poops out on you.

George Bear

Recruit

Hey Pal :
Many good days were spent Flounder fishing inshore South Carolina in my Basstracker 175. Salt water will not harm the aluminum, however I would flush the boat, trailer, and motor very well on each return home. I have fished all the NC and SC backwater and even the 3 mile reefs on good days.
I do recommend getting sea Tow or Boat US towing insurance if you plan on going beyond the jetties.

Bunnerrabbit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are tons on the water. I have one and it bill beat you up at higher speeds. 16ft with a 35hp on it and used it with no problems. I suggest slowing down around larger boats as they might not slow much for you.