Bass Lures

Jefff

Cadet
Any suggestions on how to start a well stocked tackle box full of bass lures. I would like to get more serious going after largemouth bass. Stocking a tackle box with plastics, crankbait, spoons, jigs, spinners, and top-water bait is overwelming considering the different sizes, weights and colors. I have a tacklebox full of lures from years of mostly fishing for trout, some smallmouth bass and whatever else I could get on my line. Cabela's has the bucket of plastics and other large kits that are a little pricey but may be a good deal considering the alternative. Do these kits hare a good selection. Is it worth going with these kits or should I start a collection at $3-$5 a piece. Please help. Where do I start?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Bass Lures

welcome to the forum, jefff! I would shy away from those kits...you'll end up with bags 'o baits you never use, but no sense starting out with one. ;) Find out what's hot locally. Zoom is a good brand.<br /><br />Here's a tip - Spike-it - it's a dye you can dip your tails in - that way you only have to buy solid colors. Works instantly - good stuff but stinky - don't spill it on your clothes or carpet. I mostly use chartreuse garlic flavor.

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just did the same thing over the winter. <br /><br />I got about 6 suspending jerk baits, 4 rattle traps, 6 crankbaits, 2 taildancers, assorted plastics, hooks bullet weights, etc, four spinnerbaits, 2 buzzbaits, 3 surface poppers, and 1 rubber frog. <br /><br />I got just about everything on sale, 2 or three at a time just browsing around at different sporting goods stores. Colors I just bought what made sense, silver, gold, perch, bluegill, firetiger, crawdad, etc. <br /><br />And as soon as you get out there you'll realize there is somthing you didn't get that you need, and you'll be back at the sporting goods store again, and again, and again.........

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well id go with <br />Worms/hooks/weights TRY A WEIGHTLESS SENKO. <br />Spinnerbait/ double willow/ tandem in char and White<br />top water popper like the Rebel POP-R<br />Cranks strike king in shallow/med/deep in shad color craw color. <br />I just got 6 more bags of flukes to add to the already 35bags I have and go through.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

I'd add a buzzbait and a Zara Spook to the list. Oh, and don't forget your 50 thousand dollar Ranger Z Series with the 300 horse Verado. ;) <br /><br />spots

LubeDude

Admiral

Everyone allways wants to go out and buy, buy, buy when it comes to Bass fishing. i will tell you the single most important thing that you can do if you want to be a good Bass fisherman!<br /><br />Learn more about the Bass than he knows about himself, Learn where he is durring every time of the day and year, learn everything about him that you can. He is a creature of habbit, and dumb as a rock! He will do the same thing durring the same set of curcomstances time and again year after year like clockwork.

Jefff

Cadet

Thanks for your help. I just placed a $100 order with Basspro. I'm sure this is just a start. <br /><br />You are right. The only explanation is that this is a mental illness.

Ron G

Commander

100 bucks i wish i could get out like that.<br />i would have a carolina rig set up too.and a jig. :D

rottenray6402

Ensign

If I was forced to use only two lures for bass or northern pike it would be a perch colored j-11 Rapala and a tandem willow leaf chart / white spinnerbait.

KCLOST

Commander

CN,<br /><br />I was at Cabela's the other day. Sitting out in front of the store was a Ranger Z with a 250hp Verado on the back... But the price was more like 56K...<br /><br />Getting out of hand...

procraft180

Cadet

you can buy the edge lures from wal-mart. they look like the real yamamoto senko and hold up way better and cheaper. Watermelon Red and punkin seed. I have both and caught just as many off the edge lure as I have the senko. the senko is good for about 1 fish.<br /><br />Crank baits:<br />I like the bandit 100, 200, 300 and the flatt maxx. I have had good luck with the TN Shad color, crawfish orange,chartruese blue back (and black back),and citrus shad.<br /><br />You can also never go wrong with the little-n and baby-n.<br /><br />Spinner baits:<br />White and chartruese are the only colors I use. I prefer up to a 1/2oz with either willow blades or indiana blades or a combo of both.<br /><br />Plastics:<br />baby brush hog<br />brush hog<br />senko<br />any of the creature baits

procraft180

Cadet

Oh, and I have bought 4 chatter baits and haven't caught didley on any of them.<br /><br />Forgot about the bayou boogie.