Basic Engine Info Needed

Hello All:<br />As some of you may already know I am new to both this site, and boating. In a previous post i searched for help with an engine i have (9.9 evinrude 76' model) and with your help i am 95% sure that i have located the problem. I will soon be ordering the parts that i need to fix my engine but while i have it open i was wondering if there were other things i should work on and to resolve this issue i need more of an understanding of what these parts are and how they function. Please help with anything you can. Here goes: <br />1) I read in another post that changing the impeller in the water pump was a good preventive measure. Q: What is an impeller and can/should I change it while i'm at it?<br />2) How does the fuel pump work on 2 cylce engines and what are common problems with them?<br />3) Which gaskets should i be most concerned with (the engine had been sitting for 3 years or so when i bought it) and what kind of gasket kits are available that i should consider buying?<br />Once again, i'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone on this site for helping each other and educating people like myself. Because of this site i now know 100 times more about engines than i did a week ago, but i still have a lot to learn. If you can help me with any of these please let the ideas/suggestions fly. Thanks guys.

Trent

Captain
Re: Basic Engine Info Needed

Drop the lower gear case of your engine. The impeller is inside. It needs to be changed every two to three years. It looks like a "rubber star". Change your gear lube every year.<br /><br />Your fuel pump is a diaphram type. It uses pulses from crankcase pressure to move the diaphram. This pulse on the diaphram creates a suction that pushes fuel to the carbs. Common problems are ruptured diaphram. This causes the engine to do several things. It might not run at all, surge at high speed, not idle correctly and others.. Replace the diaphram every few years its about ten bucks.<br /><br />Gaskets.. I would personally put kits in the carbs and clean them up. Also buy the little gaskets on your fill and vent plugs on the lower gear case.<br />Impeller picture

steve forsythe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello stream, as i rarely answer any questions on this board because of my limited boating experience, i think the impeller you are refering to is on the water pump and is very important. It brings water to the engine and cools it. It causes the pee stream coming out if the top of the engine. Without a good flow of water your engine can and will overheat causing internal damage. I am sure you will get better advice from the others on this board as they are very good. I just happened to be up and saw noone had answered. Good Luck.

steve forsythe

Petty Officer 1st Class

See i told you my knowlege was limited. I knew the impeller had to do with water!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy Stream-fisherKY. The first, and most important thing you need to do is get a manual. We can give you plenty of advice and help, but nothing substitutes for a good service manual.<br /><br />I suggest that you check out local libraries for manuals that you can look over, keep an eye on ebay for both service and parts manuals, and then buy a good one. You wont go broke buying a new one if that is your only option. Most retail for $30 to $35.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Thanks everyone for the info. As far as the manual is concerned i have one in the mail. Once i realized that i'd be working on this lil engine all by my lonesome i decided it'd be good if i had a manual to guide me. Thanks for all the suggestions and info, you guys are great. I guess i'll add the impeller to my wish list. <br /><br />J.B.: I've read several of your posts on other boards and it seems as though you have an extensive knowledge of engines. Any advice you have would be much appreciatted as I am only a novice. Thanks to all

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the kind words, Fisher.<br /><br />Part of survival in teaching adults is how to seem a lot smarter than you really are. Glad to help where I can.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

Basic information? Three quite good pictures showing the carb and impeller:<br /> http://www.maxrules.com/62threehp/3carb.JPG <br /> http://www.maxrules.com/62threehp/3unit.JPG <br /> http://www.maxrules.com/62threehp/25unit.JPG <br /><br />Take a look at carburetor overhaul, head gasket and water pump impeller replacement step by step: http://www.maxrules.com/fixtuneitup.html http://www.maxrules.com/fixtuneitup2.html <br /><br />I hope it will work in some way.<br /><br />/Bear

Spur

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey bear can you find those same schematics for a 1959 5.5 Johnson Seahorse CD-16?<br /><br />Thanks I would love to have them