Baseball brain teaser

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
1. Fly ball hit to right field, deep, right fielder chases it to the wall and makes the catch, then purposely drops it. Why? Under what circumstances would he do this? (Hint: the answer is not because he suddenly remembers that he plays for the Texas Rangers.)<br /><br /><br />2. I walked in to a bar and noticed there was a ballgame on the TV hanging on the back wall. I took a stool at the bar and ordered a beer. I glanced up. There were two outs, bases empty. The batter hit a hard grounder down the first base line. The first baseman grabbed the ball, but instead of running to first base, he fired it across the diamond to the third baseman, who caught the ball and stepped on third. The ump signalled out, and the team left the field.<br />What happened?

knobby

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Baseball brain teaser

No. 1 = game was over with that catch.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

No 1<br />1 out, runner on first. If he makes the catch the batter will be out, but runner will be advancing. Runner thought he was going to have to tag up, so he moved back towards first base. By dropping the ball, he can then throw the runner out at second.<br />....may not be the smartest play, but sounds logical to me...hehe.<br /><br />No 2.<br />Previous runner had missed the tag on third base?<br /><br />AK Chappy

Drowned Rat

Captain

Chappy may be on the right track for No. 2. Say on the previous play there was a runner on third with 1 out. The batter hit a fly ball that was caught by somebody for out number 2. The runner on third ran home but didn't wait for the ball to be caught. So when the first baseman threw the ball to third, that runner would then be out.???<br /><br />No. 1 Don't know on this one. Was it a foul ball? If you catch a ball in foul territory, it becomes fair. If a runner was on third, they could tag up and make it home for a run. But if the fielder drops the ball, it's foul and the runner on third can't advance.???<br /><br />Am I close?

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

#1) To me 'makes the catch' by definition means the batter is out. I assume you mean the fielder lets the ball hit his glove but before possession could be ruled lets it drop to the ground? <br /><br />In that case I could see a couple of reasons for dropping it. <br /><br />1) less than 2 outs, runner on third who is sure to tag up and score if the right fielder makes the catch, and the ball is in foul territory.<br /><br />2) less than 2 outs, ball is in fair territory, runner on 1st base who is much faster than the batter. Right fielder is sure he can still complete a force out on the runner going to 2nd base, thereby ending up with same outs but slower runner on first. This is less likely cause if it's hit to the wall it would be hard to be certain you'd get a force out on a decent runner going to second base.<br /><br />#2) you're watching a reflection of the game in a mirror over the bar.

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

lakelivin,<br /><br />you beat me on # 2. That is exactly what I was going to say!!

Drowned Rat

Captain

lakelivin, he said the bases were empty on #2, and there were 2 outs.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

DR,<br /><br />my 2) was actually a second possible reason for the answer to question #1. I should have labeled them a) and b) to avoid confusion.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Question #1 -- If the ball is in foul territory, he could drop it to keep a runner from advancing. A runner could advance, even on a foul ball, if caught, but it is at his own risk.<br /><br />The circumstances are: Bottom of the ninth, runner on third, and his scoring would end or tie the game, or though less likely, to retain the double play possibility.<br /><br />Question #2 -- I agree. You are watching in the mirror.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

#1.<br />yep, it's a foul ball - he dropped it to keep a runner at third from scoring - probably a tieing or winning run, or close game in late innings. You're right, lakelivin, it does say "makes the catch"; that was just to make it a bit more challenging. The ump could still rule it a catch followed by a fumble, and the score will count, since the runner will run on contact anyway. <br /><br />#2.<br />Have to get up pretty early in the morning to fool you guys!