Barrow, Alaska Questions

NYMINUTE

Captain
Have any of you I-Boaters been to Barrow, Alaska? I was reading an article on Barrow that was really interesting. The Weather Channel listed the Sunrise @ 2:57 AM and Sunset @ 2:48AM. I would like to hear from anyone from the area or who has visited the area. Is there any pleasure boating in the Artic Ocean? What industry is in the area? I am sure fishing is a top sport. If you have any info please post. Thanks.

eeboater

Commander
Re: Barrow, Alaska Questions

That must be up north in AK ey? I'm going to be in Alaska in 2 weeks and I can't wait! It will be interesting to see how the sunrise/sunsets are.<br /><br />Sean

PW2

Commander

I've been there. Not much in the way of pleasure boating, as the arctic ocean is too nasty too much of the time.<br /><br />Fishing and crabbing is the biggest industry around, but it's not for the faint of heart. My brother was on a crab boat, and he told stories of 72 hour continuous shifts, and taking aluminum baseball bats to knock the ice off the rigging of the boat to keep it from getting top heavy and rolling over.<br /><br />Sounds like loads of fun.<br /><br />Anchorage is a great area for pleasure boating and fishing, as well as the area all around Juneau and Ketchikan. Logging is big time in the southern areas around Juneau, but far northern alaska is permafrost.<br /><br />The mosquitos in the area can cart off small dogs, at least in the Fairbanks area.

eeboater

Commander

Not to HiJack NYM, but I have a question for those who live in Alaska. What kind of insect repellant do you use? I mean you can't just use regular Off. That seems a bit too tame.<br /><br />Is there some kind of a local brand I should be looking for?<br /><br />Sean

PW2

Commander

Not sure what they use in Alaska, but I spend a fair bit of time in the bush in Northern Ontario, and we have every insect known to man in copious quantities here. The active ingredient that repels the bugs is DEET. The more of it any product has the better. I have found here in Northern Ontario a product that is just called DEET, and it is wonderful. It probably causes cancer or something, but it's worth it to keep from being eaten alive by bugs!<br /><br />The best of the commonly available commercial products around is Muskol.<br /><br />Not sure what you have available to you, but check the ingredients and pick the one with the highest concentration of DEET.

aspeck

Staff member

Was just at a seminar on Malaria. There the scientists told us the best form of prevention against insects was DEET. However, anything over 35% DEET was really a waste of $. It seems that quantities over 35% only last a short time longer on the skin, and not worth the extra dough.<br /><br />Shucks, I don't have my notes with me right now, but the did give another chemical that was good for clothing - and would last for several washings. Not good for skin. Like DEET, good for skin, not for clothing.

cvinroot

Seaman Apprentice

Sean, I'd just coat yourself with bacon grease and run like hell. :eek:

SteveinAK

Cadet

I haven't been to Barrow, but I live in Anchorage. The sun sets here around 11 pm? (doesn't really set, more like dusk) and when I get up in the morning at 5 am it's nice and light out. I don't have the newspaper in front of me so I can't give you the actual sunrise/sunset. Anchorage area is a great place for boating. Lots of lakes and rivers to run. and the Kenai peninsula to the south is even better. Everybody I know up here uses bug repellent w/ 100% Deet. That coupled with vitamin B. No particular favorite brands. The mosquitos are bad, but aren't nearly as bad as most folks say. Just keep the bug spray handy. The mosquitos are worse in the Interior (Fairbanks region) than down in southern Alaska. -Steve