Barnegat Bay

Paulz01

Petty Officer 3rd Class
New to the whole scene and looking into what I kind of setup I would need to get goin. My grandfather use to have a boat and was big into fishing so I have all of his stuff but when he did it, I was to young so I really dont know much. Will be getting a 20' center console with a live well. How would you set this up? I have all the gear, just dont know what to do.

Ive herd that stripped bass are big in the bay during the spring/fall. How would I set my rods up for that, and what kind of rod should I use? How bout for the rest of the year?

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Barnegat Bay

I'm not too sure about Barneget...but in Mass. where I fished blues and stripers, from a boat we were using a 6 or 7 foot medium/heavy rod with a decent spinning reel. Mine is 6'6" rod with a Penn 104 reel loaded with 30lb test braid. We'd snag some bunker for bait with weighted treble hooks, chunk them, and send them to the botton on a 7/0 hook with a 24" wire leader in the 60lb catagory or more. Leader's not really needed for the stripers but if you hot a blue, it'll chew right thru your line without one.

Occasionally, I'd bring my 12-foot surf rods too and stick them in the rear corner rod holders...they looked like outriggers hanging off the side of my tiny 17-foot boat.