barlow - tarpon report from Tx

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, just wanted to share a story from this week. I have started fly fishing, havent hooked a tarpon yet, but did manage to land a 40" jack crevalle. What a fight, took over an hour, caught him in the surf, not more than 15 ft. from the beach. He was crashing bait up onto the sand. But, the local flyfishing pro did hook into a giant. He was fishing on the south jetty and hooked an estimated 8 footer, probably 200 pounds +. He called a local guide who came in his boat and picked him up off the jetty because there was no way he was going to land this fish off the rocks. He said he fought this fish for 3 1/2 hours, got it to the boat 3 times but couldnt get a gaff in its lip before it would take off. Finally, he said he started feeling bad and then he passed out cold from heat exhaustion. Its been in the high 90s here. Anyway, he lost the fish and ended up in the emergency room! Well, I will be off fishing for the next two months :D so you wont hear from me for a while, but thought you might like this story.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Re: barlow - tarpon report from Tx

ddaigle .. you da man!!!!!<br /><br /><br />hey .. whats July look like down there!?!? :D <br /><br />I know the answer is hot and humid but, Ifn' I was to plan a little outting for a few days what would ya think of laughin' at some goofball from Wisconsin for a day or two??<br /><br /> :p :D <br /><br />DANG I HAVE TO TRY THIS!!