Barbeque definition

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
I was watching a program on travel channel last night on barbeque. I learned that barbeque to one person isn't the same to another; ex: barbeque is beef to one and pork to another. I tried to set up a poll, but don't get the hang of it. So, what is your definition of barbeque? Pork or beef? Sauce or dry rub?<br /> When I think of barbeque I think of pork ribs with lots of bbq sauce.<br />Bassy<br />P.S. If someone can set up a poll to do this I would be greatly appreciative. :)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Barbeque definition

To me, BBQ is meat and fire.... Beef, pork, poultry, fish all qualify in my book..<br /><br />Dang... I'm hungry..
35.gif

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

BBQ takes many many hours, slow cooking off the fire. <br /><br />Some parts of the country it's beef, the midwest it's pork.<br /><br />meat on a grill with fire underneat is grilling, not BBQ.<br /><br />To keep BBQ tender, it must be cooked long at a low temp with good smoke.<br /><br />If you do it right, you don't need sauce. Sauce is to cover the mistakes!

aspeck

Staff member

Many definitions - I can have a barbeque, which means I will be grilling something over and open flame, or a barbeque can be a smoked meat (beef, venison, pork, or a combination) that is cooked to the point of falling off the bone. Then it is cooked some more in a BBQ sauce and served on a roll.<br /><br />So, which definition are ya talking about?

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

cooking over a flame is grilling in the technical sense, although a lot of people refer to it as bbq.<br /><br />but remember, in TX - KING OF BBQ, we know what we're doin :D

aspeck

Staff member

I will defer to KK and the King of BBQ State!

Dunaruna

Admiral

Sorry guys, you ain't BBQed until you've BBQed down under. We BBQ everything, meat, fish, vegies & fruit. Put a lid on it and roast, put a plate on it and fry, put a grill on it and grill.<br /><br />Traditionally fuel was wood but propane, hot rocks and electricity and common now. Just last week we fed 18 family members totally with the BBQ, roast beef, roast pork, fryed sausages & marinated chiken skewers, fryed pumpkin, potatoes & avacado, grilled chops. For me, BBQ means any cooking not done indoors.<br /><br />Aldo

LadyFish

Admiral

I love Texas BBQ and Mr. LF can do it up right.<br /><br />However, during a recent trip to Tennessee I had pulled pork BBQ and it was awesome. I would love to have the recipe. Anybody have it???

bubbakat

Captain

KK is right on in his description of BBQ texas style.<br />They leave their sauce in a bottle. ( GLASS )<br />nothing else can stand the heat.<br />3 flavors<br />hot<br />very hot<br />call the fire department

bh357

Chief Petty Officer

Bassy, I think I watched that same program last night. It was definately interesting to see the different definitions of barbeque, from one region to the other. The only problem with that show was that it made me hungry.

one more cast

Captain

One entry found for barbecue.<br /> <br /><br />Main Entry: 2barbecue<br />Variant(s): also bar·be·que<br />Function: noun<br />Etymology: American Spanish barbacoa framework for supporting meat over a fire, probably from Taino<br />1 : a large animal (as a steer) roasted whole or split over an open fire or a fire in a pit; also : smaller pieces of barbecued meat<br />2 : a social gathering especially in the open air at which barbecued food is eaten<br />3 : an often portable fireplace over which meat and fish are roasted

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

My definition of BBQ.....<br /><br />Throwin' shoes and drinkin' Longnecks while the burgers cook on the grill.<br /><br />Hey...we all got our own styles of BBQ's. :D

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks,ndemge. I appreciate the poll.<br />Bassy

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

bh357 -<br /> I know what you mean. I was drooling like crazy. I liked the remark" diet and barbeque don't belong in the same sentence" That's right!<br />Bassy

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I think BBQ is indirect cooking; the meat isn't directly over the fire. If your fire is under the meat then you are grilling. I know in Texas BBQ is supposed to be beef (and usually it's the brisket), but my personal favorite is pork ribs; can't get enough! The sauce should be served at the table not put on the meat while it's cooking.<br /><br />Memphis Red Hot & Blue restaurants have a dry rub pork rib that is out of this world! Plus which their potato salad is excellent.<br /><br />BTW, Dunaruna, should we take that as an invitation?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

It ain't a BBQ unless ya gotta shrimp to throw on it!