Banjo Minnows

495v

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Banjo Minnows

Sorry to tell you, but you wasted your money. I've had friends buy those things and they are worthless, at least in my experience. Hope I didn't bust your bubble. Maybe you will like it and it will work for you. Good luck

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry to say they are trash, a sporting goods store near me had them on clearence for 4.99 last fall, it had a tag "Original Price 29.99" (Get Real). I purchased it for the hooks, rattles, and weights. There is some good hardware in there, weedless stuff and real nice rattles you can add to any bait, but the bait is junk. I had already heard this but I think all the hardware I got was worth 5 bux +.<br /><br />It's not all worthless but in my opinion the bait is I hope you didn't pay much. I thought the "Banjo" adds were gone, they started around here 3 or 4 years ago so by now everybody knows what they are worth that's why our local store had them for 5 bux. At least you will get some use out of the hardware and who knows you may get the bait to work like the commercial.<br /><br />Good luck :confused:

skeeterbuilt

Cadet

I should received the kit by Friday. I guess I have to try it out for myself this weekend, along with the tip on how to start my 93 johnson by Dhadley, weather permit of course. <br /><br />I checked the Banjo minnows website and the testimonials are very impressive. It could be a mock up but nevertheless I'm impress.<br /><br />495v and Capt_U, have you guys tried it for real? Because they say if it doesn't catch a fish then there's no fish in the area....<br /><br />I'll let you guys know what I come up with, soon after I came back from trying it out this weekend....

495v

Chief Petty Officer

I personnally have not tried it but have had buddies in my boat that have. Needless to say they didn't outfish me, not even close. Matter of fact, I believe they changed their setup after an hour or so.

steve forsythe

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have tried them and they are fine but complicated. Rigging takes time to get it right, and you better be a good fisherman to work them. If you are good at making baits talk and jerk, you should do well with them. I think they take to much time to rig up though.

skeeterbuilt

Cadet

Thanks for a positive input Purse. I'm still yet to see how well it will work for me. But my hopes are up, thanks Purse.....

skeeterbuilt

Cadet

Well boys and girls, the Banjo Minnows works as advertised. I've never have so much fun fishing in my life, even though I'm soaking wet because of the rain. It was raining so hard I thought my bilge pump won't be able to keep up. Anyway, I've caught a total of 20 fish.. I'm doing the catch and release for the other fisherman. I will surely be back out again tomorrow. I'm taking my wife this time so she would have the same fun I had this morning.... Good fishing to all of you.....

fishhunter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Skeeter, good to hear ya had some good fishing with your banjo's. I usually dont buy any of those "AS SEEN ON TV" lures but i did have some luck with the flying lure's i got off the " as seen on tv rack " at eckards drug store i think ,or someplace, but i wouldnt have bought it for the 30 bucks they were askin.I have a pack of walking worms my wife bought for 8 bucks...never had the nerve to break em out tho lol. YA NEVER KNOW MAN!! I always say. hehheh I saw a lady catch a nice 3lb. bass on a budweiser popper lure once,but i still havent thrown my mermaid lure for fear of being laughed off the lake.I also have one of those poppers with the pull string that makes the tail flutter when ya throw it out,they were slayin the big bass on em in the commercial lol.New lures that fool the fish are getting harder to invent,but new lure's to catch fishermen seem to be doin alright. :) <br /><br />Did you try any other bait's?I am hooked on the flukes and slugo baits right now,a good weightless fluke is deadly sometimes(a soft jerk bait,twitch it like an injured shad,darts left n right...I would bite it! lol) Hope you and your wife have a blast next time :) dont catch em all!

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Skeet,<br /><br />Good for you glad you had a good experience, much better than I had.<br /><br />I tried them and as was stated by someone else they are more complicated than need be. I still believe there are much better plastics out there in my humble opinion. I've come to like tubes very much in the past 4 or 5 years, there are so many ways to rig them and I have noticed they are becomming more and more popular.<br /><br />Keep it going and have fun. You shut me up! :D

ebbtide176

Commander

hey skeeter, i hope you're not just spamming our a$$es....<br />but anyhoo, yea my pop gets all the 'fad' stuff for gifts every yr, and we ck em out. <br />the banjo is nice. not anything special of course, since like captU said, there are zoom,do nuthin, etc plastics out there. the banjo just requires you to do what the real point of it all implies - "finesse fishing". the banjo uses a spiral wire to thread the body, which has been around in TX & elsewhere for yrs, and the banjo just adds a loop to add the plastic as a tail to the hook, instead of embedding the hook into it. the problem there is in short-striking fish. if you do so well with banjo, then keep at it tho. i do hafta say the fish are getting used to same ole stuff, and there absolutely are "in" lures simply because the fish aren't familiar/wary of them. i got sucked into buying a $12bag of "mophead/jig bodies" the other day, simply because they were what caught the most fish, and my bud had an extra bag. :rolleyes:

skeeterbuilt

Cadet

Well, I tried it again yesterday with my wife... I caught a three pounder at my very first throw. My wife said you got one already? Now I said this is how you start your day fishing. But you guys are right cause my wife didn't do very well and we are using the same color same size Banjo Minnows. I showed her how to retrieve it, you know jerk, jerk, jerk, stop then jerk, jerk, jerk, stop.. But she couldn't get the knack of it. You have to make the bait look like a dying fish... and that's the key... anyhow I caught and release only three before it got too windy and could barely control my boat with my trolling motor. We have to head home...<br /><br />The trip back to ramp is another story.. My wife almost bounce off the boat... Them three foot swirls are not good with 16 footer bass boat.. I thought my boat will break in pieces... I slowed down and that's even worse... I was hanging on to the steering wheel so hard.. I wokeup this morning with a sore arms.. ha-ha-ha... Anyway, we got home safe and sound.. My wife and I pick up a handle bar at WalMart yesterday evening and got it installed. Now she has two points where she can hang on to.... I'm ready again for next weekend... Hopefully it won't be as windy...<br /><br />Good fishing to all of you!!!!

ChampionHead

Cadet

I thought Banjo went out of business. Can anyone tell me where I can buy them? They are the best lure I've ever used.<br /><br />I used Banjo Minnows in the U.P. of Michigan several years ago in very clear lakes where artificial bate just didn't cut it, but the fish just hammered that "dying minnow". crosedj@aol.com

ChampionHead

Cadet

Thanks skeeterbuilt!<br /><br />The URL I had for them didn't work anymore. I guess they changed it.

ChampionHead

Cadet

Hi Skeeterbuilt,<br /><br />Have you tried that URL lately? I tried it several times throughout the day today, and it doesn't work. Is the URL www.banjominnows.com?<br /><br />Maybe their site is down?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Calvin

skeeterbuilt

Cadet

Hey ChampionHead, sorry I added the "s" at the end of the minnow... I kind of got excited when someone else is using the same thing I'm using. I've had good luck using the banjo minnows... I'm taking my daughter fishing this weekend and I'll turn her on with the Banjo.. Good Luck to you... Let me know how it turn out for you....

ChampionHead

Cadet

Have a great time!<br /><br />My 4-year old son and I will probably go fishing this weekend. I hope my Banjo Minnows arrive in time. I'll give em a try for Rainbow trout. I'm also planning to use the salt water version for Stipe Bass in the Saco river a little later in the season.<br /><br />Thanks again for your help.<br />
Fishingbuddies.jpg

skeeterbuilt

Cadet

My fishing is limited only to the lakes around the area... I'm not sure if I have the guts to venture outside my area lakes.... I only have a 16 foot bass boat... and the two to three foot swells really shake the boat hard.... <br /><br />Well, good luck to you and your son... Looks like you have a future bass master in your hand...<br /><br />Again... Good Luck!!!!!!!