Ballast Resistor, loom resistance wire ???

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good evening all.<br /><br />I just acquired a Mallory breakerless distributor and the instructions warn to either have loom resistance wire or a ballast resistor. <br /><br />Is there a way to determing if I have loom resistance wire? My setup is a Mercruiser model 888 with a Ford 302 V8. It's a 1973. <br /><br />I don't mind buying a resistor, but if I am already set it would be a plus. Additionally, I can't imagine finding a ballast resistor locally!<br /><br />As always, all help is much appreciated.<br /><br />Regards, crt.

merc 140 pontoon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Ballast Resistor, loom resistance wire ???

Get the wiring diagram (Clymer or Merc manual) and check the resistance of the wire from the big engine plug to the coil positive post. Resistance cable is 1.8 ohms. Follow safe electrical practices--if you don't know what they are, don't do this yourself.

CRT Skiff Crafter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks M 140 P. I'm cool with doing electrical work, just didn't know how to determine if I have the required wire or need the ballast resistor. With your info I can now make the determination. <br /><br />Regards, crt.

merc 140 pontoon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine tested 1.8 ohms cold, but resistance increased as it got hot--it was deteriorated. I tried an external ballast resistor (CarQuest), but ended up going to an internally-resisted coil. I was concerned that putting all 3 ohms after the starter crank 12V assist wire would hurt starting, but now it starts MUCH better. Go figure. Obviously, I bypassed the bad resistance cable in the harness.<br /><br />Steve