Bait tank plumbing

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone have the intake thru hull for their bait tank plumbed through the bottom of the boat? I am trying to figure out the best placement for the thru hull fitting to supply water while I am underway. All my free board and transom is out of water while I am underway (on plane). Any suggestions?

Jason

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Bait tank plumbing

Place the thru hull fitting where you can acess the shut off with ease..generally fore of the transom about a foot,do any of your box's go (battery.bilge pump) go to the bottom?

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have room in the engine area to put a thru hull. I need to be able to pump water while on plane. Anchovies don't last long without fresh water turn over in the bait tank. It's a 1 to 2 hour ride over to Catalina island depending on weather.

Jason

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

here is mine like you describe ;
0414091428b.jpg

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Can you just get a good airator pump in it, I keep blue gills for days in my boat in the garage with a timed aerator pump in the tank.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oxygen keeps the fish alive , filling bait tank w/ good water and running an aerator will keep anything alive for 1 1/2 hours, we run to the Gulf..4 hrs, we average 25% bait loss..no matter what were using. Depending on how fast your boat is,at slower speeds..it'll work, faster bass boats..i dont know..But an aerator is the key..that and dont cram your bait in the box.

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have seen boats with the aerator I just didn't want to put 2 pumps onboard.

bigbad 4cyl x2 Do you have a strainer on the thru hull also?

Jason

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I honestly would worry more about having a large hole in the bottom of my boat, not much would have to go wrong with the hose or a fitting and you are taking on water and can't get to the source.

Just a thought.

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I thought about that also. The engine area is wide open on my boat. Plenty of room to get to the thru hull if something were to happen. I am going to make, or buy if I can find one, a patch for the hole. Kind of like a toggle bolt with a flat plate on the inside. Wouldn't be good to be 20 miles offshore with a 1.5" hole in the bottom of the boat!!

Jason

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

It is critical that thru-hulls be plumbed properly.

Attachments

• 1841295.jpg
    1841295.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 6601405.jpg
    6601405.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 0

Ken G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've read where some people carry several cedar plugs of varying diameters to drive in the hole in case of an intake failure. I figure if I hit something and tear the inlet strainer out I have bigger problems than a 1" hole in the bottom.

My inlet is about 18" forward of the transom just to the side of the keel. I do have a ball valve on the inlet and a second ball valve above the floor. I use a transom mounted transducer so my inlet is on the opposite side of the keel do it does not disturb the water flow to the transducers.

At high speeds water is forced up through the inlet so you need to make sure your over flows can handle the extra volume.

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes i have a groco strainer for the bottom with a door built into it ,so i can open it to gook it out .then i have a bronze groco inline strainer.then the inline strainer for the pumps ,and a bal valve . with an adapter to go from through hull threads to ball valve threads per abyc

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Oxygen keeps the fish alive , filling bait tank w/ good water and running an aerator will keep anything alive for 1 1/2 hours, we run to the Gulf..4 hrs, we average 25% bait loss..no matter what were using. Depending on how fast your boat is,at slower speeds..it'll work, faster bass boats..i dont know..
Code:
But an aerator is the key
..that and dont cram your bait in the box.

Good luck on your project-
BTW, I strongly agree with the aerator thing :cool:

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

The livewell on my Wellcraft 180 fisherman came plumbed through the bottom of the boat so it can be done if that is your question.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

The posts above say it all as far as plumbing, safety etc. Thru hull is by far the best way to go and remember the freshest water with the largest round tank and most circulation is the best formula for live frisky bait.

Good luck