baffled...

mrd

Cadet
Hi All

I just replaced rectifier/ reg. The tach still will not work off the gray wire. ( it drops below zero) However it does work off the yellow/ gray one. The boat runs fine. Battery seems to to be charging. It hasn't gotten weak seems stronger. Turns motor very quick, easily starts. What could it be. The old r/r I think shorted out when the red wire chaffed and grounded on the stater solenoid. Would the solenoid be bad and cause the tach not work. But if the solenoid was bad would the starter work???

pls help me to understand
MRD

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: baffled...

First lets get the model number of your motor so we can "see" what we're working on. In the meantime, and depending on which motor you have, look at the terminal board where all the wires are connected. There is supposed to be a jumper between the yellow/gray and the gray terminal. If that jumper is missing that would explain the delima. If it is missing and you don't have one, just put the gray wire under the screw for the yellow/gray wire.

mrd

Cadet

85 evinrude 150 (e150txcos) there are three gray wires that connect at terminal , two yel/ gray, two yel.
there is a purple but not one coming from new r/r
whats the jumper for isnt the gray wire from the r/r suppose to send pluses to the tach independently

thx mrd

mrd

Cadet

Please can someone tell me what else might be causing the tach not to work off the gray wire from a new reg/ rect. Or what other things to check...

mrd