Bad VRO on 175 GT

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On start up, the motor shakes real bad, spits spuders and shuts off. There is quite a bit of oil out the bottom of the prop. When the motor is trimmed up, oil comes out thru the bottom of the carbs. Does it also pump fuel as well?? I replaced the primer bulb and added a clear fuel filter. I read all the posts on testing for oil output. Are there any tests to see if it is getting fuel? Also, I pulled the plugs and there is oil on them.

guyo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Bad VRO on 175 GT

what is the year of the engine &model #<br />does the engine keep running if someone constantly pumps the primer ball,or if you hold in the key switch primer.i had similar problem <br /><br /> my old posts may be able to help you.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its a Johnson outbaord. I dont have the model number, but is a 90 degree 35 amp 1989 year model. I had the carbs rebuilt, and all the lines are hooked up. It keeps running for a bit with the key choke, and the primer bulb goes soft after it shuts off.

cvx35

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you just recently obtain this motor? If not, the previous owner may have disconnected the fuel line to run it out of gas at the end of the season not knowing that as long as it would run leanly on fuel the VRO was pumping carbs full of oil. I may be wrong, anyone else have input on that?

guyo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

if the carb job was done correctly,eg carb and manifols soaked,cleaned,all passages blown out,float settings according to spec,and all gaskets seated properly and then installed properly, you might be SUCKING air rather than gas into the system. Go over every hose clamp and anything that has to do with fuel delivery check for leaks and change all old hoses and cut back a bit on the others then reclamp everything and try to start it. Careful to work on one hose at a time not to mix them up.

danny k

Seaman Apprentice

When all else fails, considering the age of the engine and the possible cost of repairing problem, consider eliminating the VRO. Pre-mix.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Remove the bolt plug that covers the high speed jet, and see what comes out, oil, or gas. Do a pressure, and vacuam test as discribed in the service manual. The manual will also discribe a oil consumpion test. If you have a high vacuam reading on the fuel intake side, the oil pump will over oil. You need the manual to properly trouble shoot this system. Go step by step.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where is the plug at? Is it on the bottom of the bowl? The carbs were redone by a local marina. I put brand new gas in and it ran good. I got it in gear and it ran, I throttled back and it shut off. Pulled the plugs and they were majorly oil fouled. Is there any other way to check if there is too much oil getting in?

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im goint to replace all the fuel lines tomarrow and put new clamps on them. I dont think its the VRO due to my lack of NOT putting hose clamps back on when I pulled the carbs. I read the posts about VRO trouble, and read an article posted in there about air leaks. I'm sure thats it.

guyo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Lets just go back one more step before you go nuts. Check the primer selonoid and make sure that the red lever is in the down position.you Don't Want to be on manual prime this will foul out your engine and stall it.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Click on the FORUMS tab, then FAQ's, and go to section F. "More on VRO" for an explanation of the system and how it works.