Bad Tach????

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok....here is the story. I have been trying to get the old girl above 4800. She is running great..no missin, jumps on plane, 37 on GPS.<br /><br />This weekend my friend brought his 17 ft with new 70hp Yammy, his boat is 100-150 lighter than mine. Both boats have the same size props 13 1/4 x 17. His is aluminum mine is SS. Both boats have same hull design. I had 500 lbs of people and a full 15 gal tank in mine he had 400 and 1/2 15 gal tank in his.<br /><br />Here is the thing: Running down the river @WOT was neck and neck, until I edged in front of him and he had my wake to deal with. HAHA. His RPMS were @ 5900 mine were @ 4800, or so the gauge said. There is no brandname on my gauge so I cant go to their website. On the back there is 4 settings: 2cyl, 3cyl, 4cyl and 6 pole...I have it set at 6 pole. Do I need a new tach for my 77 85hp Evvy? Thanks for any help!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: Bad Tach????

First, don't compare your rig to another unless they're from the same mold and I wouldn't discount that tach. <br /><br />You need to beg, borrow, steal another tach to verify. Someone may be along that can tell you what that RPM ought to be, but I know if it's actually 4800, it's too low. <br /><br />Normally, with a load that would be your average, the WOT revs need to be at the top end of the max range specified for your motor.

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am just trying to understand if you have 2 boats, similar in nature and 2 same size props, moving at the same speed, other than accounting for slip, wouldn't they have to be turning appriximately the same RPM. I am going to replace the Tach, I am just wondering before I throw money away. Is the 6 pole setting correct for my motor or should I have a 12 pole tach.

troska

Cadet

To answer your last question, no, they wouldn't have to be turning the same engine rpm. The prop would have to be turning a _similar_ rpm, but you are forgetting to take into account the gear ratio of the lower unit.<br /><br />Tim

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

6 Pole is the correct setting on the tach, by the way, what brand tach is it?

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No brand name on it Basscat...Does anyone know the gear ratio on my motor. Tach is set to 6 pole...I have been reading it should be set to 12 pole and now mikey in another thread says the shop manual for the same motor says its a 4 pole. AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! HHHHEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP.

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

Mark, don't freak out!!! By the way, the manual says propeller gear ratio is 13:26

Indymike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Stator on my 73 115 is an eight pole. OE shop manual says eight pole as well. see picture. I don,t think the teleflex web site is completely accurate on this.<br />I believe the 77 85hp and the 73 115hp use the same stator.

jack7771

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm not convinced the 4800 rpm is too low -- what does the manual say?<br /><br />The manual on my motor (1986 110 hp Evinrude) says Full Throttle Operating Range = 4500 to 5500 RPM.

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

the service manual for mine and Mark's says full power op. range is 4500-5500, best performance is 5000-5500