Bad starter??

cacervera

Cadet
hello,<br />I have a 90hp jhonson, and Im having problems starting it. The bendix gets stuck up in the flyweel, and also it turns very slow. The problem is getting worse and worse everytime. It all started when my old starter went bad and when I replaced it I had a little bit of trouble getting it installed because of the same problem it got stucked in the flyweel I adjusted and it worked fine for a cuple of months and then the same problem started to apear again. Someone told me that it could be the battery cable, so I replaced the cable and the problem still the same, I charged my battery and nothing. I´ve tried with different batteries to make sure is not my battery.<br />So what do you think?? In my opinion I think I bought a defected starter since the begining. Or could it be the solenoid?? I also jumped directly from the battery to the starter to eliminate the solenoid, but still the same problem.<br />Please help me out here, I would appreciate it very much.<br /><br />Thank you

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bad starter??

Hi Loco,<br />Pull the starter off,use jumper cables,connect the neg. cable to the starter frame then touch the other to the pos. terminal,if it runs at the correct speed this way you may have the wrong bendix on that new starter.If nothing else lube up the spiral shaft on the starter moter.<br />Hope this helps.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Loco.<br /><br />ARA has good suggestions there.<br /><br />When you reinstall the starter (if you do) take off and clean every connection to the battery and battery cables, starter solenoid and the connections between the starter frame and the block.<br /><br />Your symptoms will sometimes occur because of a very slightly corroded connection in the starter's high current circuit.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

petryshyn

Commander

Hi LOCO<br /><br />To determine a bad starter from a circuit problem, measure the voltage from the starter motor stud to starter motor housing while attempting to crank. If the voltage is above 9.5 volts and it doesn't crank over properly, its a starter motor issue(worn brushes, armature or fields etc)<br /><br />If you have less than 9.5volts at the starter while attempting to crank, its a battery, solenoid, cables, or connections issue...<br /><br />If it turns out to be the starter, don't be scared to open it up. It may just be brushes.(an easy fix)<br /><br /> :)

cacervera

Cadet

Thank you very much for your advices, Im going to work on my boat tomorrow and I´ll let you know what happens. <br />Yestarday I went to my boat removed the sarter and checked it, it seems to work fine I also took it to the dealer to recheck if I got the right starter they checked on their computer and on their manual and they said is the right one for my motor. And now they are saying that the problem could be the solenoid. But Im not sure anymore! could someone tell me what is the solenoid´s job??<br />Thanks again for taking the time to help me out, this is very frustraiting.

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi, The solenoid is an electric switch. there are two sets of wires going to it. The smaller wires. One is yellow/red, The other is black. They connect to the small lugs on the solenoid. The black wire goes to ground. The yellow/red wire comes from the key. The large wires, both red. One comes from the positive battery terminal, the other goes to the starter motor. When you activate the solenoid by turning the key, The solenoid makes a connection inside between the two red wires. It has a plunger with a washer that gets pulled against the inside lugs connecting the two large red wires. When this contact is made, the starter is energized. It is possible for the solenoid to be causing your problem. Also don't forget to clean the ground wire on the motor,I have seen guys clean the positive and change the positive wires, just to find they had a dirty connection in the negative wire.

ajp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a thought.<br /><br />Did you examine the positive battery cable. I bought a boat from a guy that got tired of trying to get running. Burnt up a powerpack, starter, and battery, rebuilt the carbs. And still could not get the motor to crank full speed to start. <br /><br />Symptoms were slow crank of the starter, motor, then it would sort of speed up, but wouldn't start. <br /><br />I found that the battery cables were inside a rubber tube between the engine and the battery area. The tube was cracked and full of water and the battery cable inside was corroded to almost nothing. I replaced the cable and wow. Took off like a turpentined cat. Engine started and ran like a new motor. <br /><br />You have to have good battery power to run a motor and the lack of it can cause a host of problems. <br /><br />Just an idea.<br /><br />Arlan

cacervera

Cadet

Hi you all, thank you for your tips, but I still cant get it running.<br />I bought a multimeter and measure the voltage coming out of the solenoid to the starter, and it has a very good voltage (reads 10V.when cranking). I also bought a battery charger and battery is fully charged now. But still same problem. When I bypass the solenoid (meaning feed the starter with jumpers from battery) the starter gives me same symptoms.<br />I oppened my old starter and the brushes are completly damaged, If I buy new ones to try the old starter...how can I put it back together? the springs push the brushes out when trying to ensamble it, is there a trick to do it?

petryshyn

Commander

Good job on the trouble shooting....<br />Is this applicable to your style?<br />
brushes.jpg
<br />Before we go too far.....is the area on the armature where the brushes rub(commutator) all chewed up or reasonably flat?

cacervera

Cadet

thank you very much to all of you. Problem solved it was the starter after all, what I dont understand is that the dealer swears that the starter they sold me is the right one for my motor, but it doesnt work on my motor. What I did was, I rebuild the old starter (thank god I didnt trow it awar when I bought the new one), I just placed new brushes and clean the armature and it started the motor right up!! Now I have to see what to do with the other starter that costed me 170 dlls. for nothing. <br />Schematic, thanks for the picture but where can I get the tool shown in there, it took me about 30 min to put the brushes in its place.<br />Thanks again, you guys are amaizing!! keep up the good work.