bad bearings or stuck brakes?

loghomer

Seaman
Pulled my boat home today, only 5 miles from marina. When I started backing down my driveway I could hear a rubbing sound. I felt the rims and one out of 4 was really hot. I guess I have surge brakes. Is that brake stuck or are the bearings bad??? One more thing, after it cools off it will sound fine again till it gets hot..Thanks Paul

kinsmen

Cadet
Re: bad bearings or stuck brakes?

It would be best to pull your wheels and check the packing on your bearings. If one goes out on you while pulling, it could disrupt your whole day and require a new hub.

rwidman

Lieutenant

If you "guess I have surge brakes" then you should get someone who knows about trailer brakes to take a look at it. You really need to learn more about what you are doing. You can do some research on the Internet for a start.<br /><br />To answer your question - either is a possibility. Once the hubs have cooled down you can jack up that side until the tire is off the ground. Try to spin the wheel (forward). If it won't spin or is hard to spin it's probably a brake problem. Since you don't know if you have surge brakes you will need to disconnect the trailer from the tow vehicle first but make sure that you block the wheels on the other side so it won't roll. Do this on a level surface. If the wheel spins freely but is loose on the axle or you can pull it in and out or tilt it, it's a bearing problem.<br /><br />Once again, with a limited knowledge of trailer brakes I recommend that you seek help from someone more experienced.<br /><br />Boat trailers require constant brake and bearing maintenance since the wheels are typically immersed in water with every launch and recovery.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Maybe the one that's warm is the only one even working at all and it may be rusted up enough to drag when you pay attention. (Many electric brakes are broken if they don't drag a little.)<br /><br />At any rate, it sounds like you need an experienced individual to look it over.