Backing into trailer hitch.

budblas

Seaman Apprentice
Is there such a thing as a guide/positioner that will place the trailer hitch/socket over the ball when I back my pickup to the trailer without feeling that thump that tells me I'm there and another dent in the license plate? It's a bit of a pain when I get close and then have to inch back,get out, take a look, inch it back,until the hitch is directly over the ball. Then I can crank it down onto the ball. Weight on the tounge is 175 lbs., boat/trailer 3700 lbs., so guiding by back muscle power is also a pain. There's gotta be an easier way!<br />Thanks for reading this far.<br />Bud

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Backing into trailer hitch.

www .easyhitch.us/install.htm<br /><br />www .durasafe-usa.com/couplemate.htm

budblas

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks roscoe, that was easy. <br />Regards, Bud

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Also might look at Hitch Finder. I got mine on ebay for about 12 bux.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

tommays

Admiral

i have spots on my driveway i back the trailer to the same spot everytime<br /><br />and when its time to hook up again i just back the truck up to the truck spots<br /><br /><br />good pratice so i dont look silly at the ramp ;) <br /><br /><br />tomays

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

I have a tahoe where I can put the back seat down and open the rear door. I also cut the bottom of a 12 oz. soda bottle and put this on the ball. With a clear view of the rear and coupler, I can see the tip of the bottle and that's how I do it. I always get to hook with one attempt( lots of practice though .) But then it's because I can lower the back seat and see the soda bottle and the coupler.

budblas

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the responses, you've solved my frustrations.<br />Bud