Back... with a vengeance

Lt. Dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Lt.Dan has returned after 4 + years ha ha ha! After reviewing many threads I am convinced I hate project boats & have completed my last endeavor as such.
The vintage 68 Aristocraft now sleeps with the fish, it was a whole lot-o-fun while it lasted. Was able to strip the entire LS1/Bravo, gauges, a/c and other pieces but was not worth another 5 minutes of work to repair the hull. Que Sara.
Anyway it's actually fun reading the "truth or consequences" on the forum & I wonder when if ever we'll come to our senses and purchase a new boat with a warranty like my sons do.
Age is now preventing me from past mistakes which included taking a boat that should have been discarded & using copious amounts of effort & money to revive, I believe Frankenstein built his 1st monster for less than some of us have spent on the boat.
At any rate keep up the posts they are entertaining as I revel in your despair over which motor to use with which drive unit etc, I as well as others, have "been there done that" & do not miss the action so carry on!
It's fun to be back after all this time!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
love the old 19.

glad your back

i am almost done with my resto-mod of my 1988 Rogue. I have literally about $7-8k of cash into the boat resto-mod, however about 5000 hours over the last 4.8 years with all the modifications, hull re-gel, interior and cabin re-upholster and the engine building.

a brand new boat of the same size and general style would be in the $100k + range

plus, i literally get to say "Built.....Not Bought"

boats are the most expensive hobby one can have, may as well enjoy it if you want to buy or rehab your way into the hobby.

MaddisonWells

Recruit
Lt.Dan has returned after 4 + years ha ha ha! After reviewing many threads I am convinced I hate project boats & have completed my last endeavor as such.
The vintage 68 Aristocraft now sleeps with the fish, it was a whole lot-o-fun while it lasted. Was able to strip the entire LS1/Bravo, gauges, a/c and other pieces but was not worth another 5 minutes of work to repair the hull. Que Sara.
Anyway it's actually fun reading the "truth or consequences" on the forum & I wonder when if ever we'll come to our senses and purchase a new boat with a warranty like my sons do.
Age is now preventing me from past mistakes which included taking a boat that should have been discarded & using copious amounts of effort & money to revive, I believe Frankenstein built his 1st monster for less than some of us have spent on the boat.
At any rate keep up the posts they are entertaining as I revel in your despair over which motor to use with which drive unit etc, I as well as others, have "been there done that" & do not miss the action so read on!
It's fun to be back after all this time!
What you have created with your own hands will always be better than buying a boat. And even though you have spent a lot of money and time, you know this boat in the smallest details.