back up light idea

idrownworms

Petty Officer 1st Class
I never thought that it was a really great idea it just worked for me until today. I got back to the ramp and saw a few old guys looking at the back of my truck. When I got there they told me what a great idea I had.
Well anyways the truck I am using to pull my boat doesn't have good back up lights so I got some mini driving lights from the xmart screwed one to the license plate and wired a trailer plug on it. I unplug the trailer lights and plug in the driving light on the ramps that don't have any lights. I no longer have to back up and load by braille. After hearing how great an idea I had I thought that I'd share it with the group.
Just remember to plug the trailer lights back in when your ready for the road

reelfishin

Captain
Re: back up light idea

On several of my old trucks I had two driving lamps mounted just above the cap door, I could swing them down and switch them on from either the back of the truck or the cab. They would light up the entire area.
Those lights came in handy for more than fishing or boating as well.
I could swing them up out of the way when I needed to.
My one truck, the only truck without a cap, had a light bar with 4 rear facing KC Highlighters which would bring daylight to the entire ramp, but did little to light the immediate area behind the truck.

I had state inspection issues with rear or side facing lights before, in this state, their illegal, plus, any light which is installed, must function. They will fail you if you have add on fog lights which do not work, even though they are not OEM.
All lights must also be DOT approved.

I did wire in a cheap accessory light to the back of my winch stand on one trailer, it's wired into the tail lamp circuit and it lights the hitch and jack area. It probably won't last real long around saltwater, but it was only a dollar or two and it's easy to replace.

idrownworms

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: back up light idea

The reason I went simple like I did is that my brother thinks he is a truck collector and he occasionally has me drive different trucks so that all of his collection gets run every so often. I kept it simple so that it is easily changed when I switch trucks and I don't have to drill any holes. It is about time to change and I could end up with anything from a late 60's chevy pickup to a mid 80's suburban. And if I drilled any holes in his trucks I'd hear about for next 40 years at least.