Back to the water after a long hiatus for both of us.

FinnanHaddie

Recruit
We are back into boating. or so we think depending on how much work the 4Winns turns out to be....
We live just outside of Harbor Springs in the Tip of the Mitt. A couple weeks ago was Boyne Thunder and we wandered off to Charlevoix to have a look and listen to the rather insane and impressive watercraft, and she said "that's it we need a boat" So we did.
I grew up in AK, and spent a lot of time in a Zodiac out in Cook Inlet fishing for halibut and salmon. We'd launch it right off the beach into the surf, which didn't always go 100% textbook, but that Mark II Zodiac was like the Jeep of the sea. Never a comfortable ride but it would get us out wherever we needed to be. Some years later, the ex-FIL had purchased a Thomson lapstrake that had been stored inside a heated garage and the ex thought we should go take it out on the lake, so we did. Kind of. Apparantly when the strakes all dry out the boat no longer holds water and we just about made it back to the ramp, where it settled comfortably to the annoyance of everyone else wanting to launch. I mentioned that I was not going to be able to get it out of the water by myself and if they wanted to use the ramp they should help get it on the trailer, and amazingly enough they did. Pretty sure that I'd have been on my own if I had been out a bit farther.
The wifely one started life British, summered on a family farm on the IOW, and used to race Flying 15's and participated in Cowes Week activities. Her uncle was a contemporary of Uffa Fox and was a well regarded sailmaker and canvas guy on the island. She now thinks sailing is fine for young people and she's not sure that I can be taught to sail, and she's afraid that her shouting at me while sailing would put me off.
So now we are proud boat owners and with only a lot more work we can be actual boaters. Goals and all!

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Beautiful area - born and spent a lot of time in MI. Ever been to Crystal Lake?

64osby

Admiral
I've seen many a wooden boat soaking in early summer, but not at the ramp. That is what seals them up.

We spent many weeks vacationing on Long Lake just north of Interlocken. Northern Michigan is absolutely awesome for boating.

My son bought a Hobiecat 16, I taught him everything I know from the shore. Then he went sailing and learned more. That is the best way to learn.

Welcome to the site.