"Back" roads.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have just returned from a driving trip out west.<br /><br />Wherever the opportunity presented itself I took secondary roads and got off the Interstates.<br /><br />Here are a couple I highly recommend:<br /><br />US Rte 491, nee US666, through the Navajo Nation in NW New Mexico, SW Colorado and Southern Utah. The scenery is up close and personal, and it is enchanting. Allow time to stop and stare. Start with a full tank, loaded camera and empty bladders. There are long stretches between services.<br /><br />US50 from Grand Junction to Pueblo, CO. Reload the camera. Allow plenty of time to stop and gawk. It will really take your breath away and recharge your love of the earth. For overnight, the Tomichi Village Best Western just east of Gunnison is a bit pricey, but out in the country and very nice, and Josef's Restaurant on the premises is WORLD class cuisine at very reasonable prices.<br /><br />Had a wonderful time on these roads, just wish I had time to stop more often and longer. I will take these routes again.

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: "Back" roads.

Hey there JB. That US666 comes into Arizona too. It is a beautiful highway. Down here they call it the Devil's Highway because of the number. It's a hair raising ride through the mountains of northeast Arizona. Glad you had a good time.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks, JB. This was very timely as we're headed out there this Fall. Will make sure we see this.

Link

Rear Admiral

JB thats the only way to travel, time permitting.<br />Mrs Link and I always turn a three hour trip into 8-10 hours..never use the intersate if we don't have to. Use back roads and learn what people have to say.. it can be amazing... and not always from my point of view! <br />But it is the truth from thier point view! <br /> :) <br />V/R<br />Link

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

That's my kinda traveling. Glad to know there are others out there like that.<br />Glad you had a good time,JB.<br />Bassy

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by JB:<br /> <br /><br />Here are a couple I highly recommend:<br /><br />....US Rte 491, nee US666, through the Navajo Nation in NW New Mexico, SW Colorado and Southern Utah.... Had a wonderful time on these roads, just wish I had time to stop more often and longer. I will take these routes again.
Along those lines, try US 212 in Montana, through the Rockies at 12,000 ft, (Beartooth Pass) and down into the North Entrance to Yellowstone. I can't describe how beautiful it is.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've never been to SW Colorado but one of the best trips I ever took was to Colorado Springs, CO. "The Garden of the Gods" ( http://gardenofgods.com/ ) is amazing. It made me think of a real life Wiley Coyote cartoon.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

That road going over Beartooth Pass is something else! I drove it the evening of July 20, 1992. Near the summit, there were snowflakes as big as golfballs falling.<br /><br />Yeah, I said JULY!<br /><br /><br />-dd-

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by dogsdad:<br /> That road going over Beartooth Pass is something else! I drove it the evening of July 20, 1992. Near the summit, there were snowflakes as big as golfballs falling.<br /><br />Yeah, I said JULY!<br /><br /><br />-dd-
The snow is very cool, up there. We went up in Mid June, and it snowed on us also. I have pictures of my kids in snow 4-5 ft deep. (We are from Texas, so this is pretty impressive to us.)